eSun PLA+ filament

The place to discuss filament...
rsilvers

Re: eSun PLA+ filament

Post by rsilvers » Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 pm

Made bike handlebar ends from PLA+. Wow. The stuff is just insanely strong. Not usable as bar ends as too stiff - can’t push them in.
So I will be using PETG for that, which seems perfect.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat May 28, 2016 12:44 am

Great video! :D

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:56 pm

I ordered a couple rolls of this awile back and just started using it today.

So far not alot of luck. Did anyone else have problems with it wanting to bind in the ptfe tube.

It is not oversized but it comes off the roll very wavy and that causes it to fit tight in the tube.

Also the black roll im using it labeled pla B.
I am wondering if it the wrong stuff as the forum has indicated most people went up on temp to print I am going down.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Huh! Mine is labeled PLA+3D on the main label, and there is another little sticker on it that says PLA+-C. So maybe yours is an earlier test run or something. (Mine's pretty recent.)

I did have to straighten out the spool kink to get it started properly though. (Just bent it out.)

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:32 am

That figures. I guess I should have waited.
I think the other roll says pla+ maybe Ill give it a try even though Its the wrong color for my project.

I will say it seems strong and flexible. Just hate dialing in a profile for one roll I can never get again.

Im beginning to loose faith in esun. May have to try the makergeeks stuff.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:48 am

Well, hold on, it might not mean anything - I dug out the other 2 rolls, and I've got another spool that has a sticker that says PLA+-B (black) and a third that says PLA+-D (light blue). The little stickers might be some kind of internal color code and mean nothing.

The PLA plus is more "curled" and tends to resist uncurling when it feeds. But once I got it started, it never failed to print. You've probably got the same stuff. :D

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:40 pm

I have determined this roll to be defective.

not only was it wavy which I got past.

You could not leave it loaded in the machine overnight without the filament breaking at the start and end of the ptfe tube.

I cant seem to print with it without a break in the filament. After unloading it I was checking the roll and found every few inches when trying to bend the filament it just snaps clean. It is worse if bending back the opposite direction to the way it is coiled.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Oh yeah, I've had that happen too on a different roll of plain PLA......it got too humid. (In my case..during manufacture, cause mine was brittle right out of the package.) They get quite brittle when they are exposed to too much humidity.

If you put them inside a sealed bucket for a few weeks, with a (lot of) desiccant, they actually improve quite a bit, and will print without snapping afterwards.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:20 pm

I contacted intservo as this has just been opened.
Ill see what they do. I have 2 year old rolls of pla sitting on the shelf that have never had this problem.

On the plus side I have the roll of gold pla+ I ordered with it churning out a beautiful print.