Electronics Case Fan Not Turning On

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jimc

Re: Electronics Case Fan Not Turning On

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:29 am

we can sit here and guess all day long but until you can get a volt meter and check a few things your just taking a stab in the dark. i am not familiar with the 24v m2. mine is a dual power supply model but on mine the fan system is real simple and probably the same as yours but wired in series. they are wired together and pick up the power right on the rambo board. you need to check voltage at each fan if they are in series since i dont know which one the power runs through first. just start tracing the power from the connector on the board, up through both fans and back down to the board again.

boxermegan

Post by boxermegan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Toby wrote:That's a bummer. I don't know where all the hardware guys went, but I'm sure one of them will come around and help you figure this out.

Meanwhile, are you saying that you can't even connect to the M2 through S3D and jog around, or just that neither the extruder fan nor case fan turn on at start even though everything is plugged in to the right terminals?
Okay found a disconnected wire coming from the terminal block associated with the 2 fans connected in series. Had to replace both fans. Thank goodness there is a Fry's within spitting distance. Now the only problem is the thermistor has come loose from inside the heater block and loses contact as the extruder heats up and shuts everything down... ugh.

RTV? Glue? new thermistor? Any recommendations?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm

The thermistor on the m2 is in a metal sleeve that slides into the heater block. Its held in place with a small set screw. Just tighten that up. Now if the thermistor has slid out if the sleeve like mine did once, there is a plastic cover over it. Just be sure that is in place and slide it back in the sleeve and it should be fine. Othewise if there are bare wires making a connection then use a little sliver of the kapton tape and use it like electrical tape to insulate the wires then slide it back in place and tywrap everything so there is no movement.

boxermegan

Post by boxermegan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Toby wrote:That's a bummer. I don't know where all the hardware guys went, but I'm sure one of them will come around and help you figure this out.

Meanwhile, are you saying that you can't even connect to the M2 through S3D and jog around, or just that neither the extruder fan nor case fan turn on at start even though everything is plugged in to the right terminals?
Okay. I found a broken wire near the terminal block associated with the 2 fans in series. So I fixed that. Then, I had to replace all fans. I must have zapped them by running them with the full 24 volts. All good, right? Wrong. I must have bent the thermistor wire because now when the extruder heats up, the thermistor opens at about 90C and shuts down everything having to do with heat.

So... that's my saga. Two steps forward and three steps back.

megan

Toby

Post by Toby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:44 pm

About the fans, Makergear stocks new fans that are quieter and last longer than the ones that came with the M2. That's the only thing that I've had to replace so far.

I'm afraid I'm not much help with hardware issues. I have a general idea about the thermistor but I don't know how to troubleshoot problems with it or even know exactly where it is.

boxermegan

Post by boxermegan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:43 pm

jimc wrote:The thermistor on the m2 is in a metal sleeve that slides into the heater block. Its held in place with a small set screw. Just tighten that up. Now if the thermistor has slid out if the sleeve like mine did once, there is a plastic cover over it. Just be sure that is in place and slide it back in the sleeve and it should be fine. Othewise if there are bare wires making a connection then use a little sliver of the kapton tape and use it like electrical tape to insulate the wires then slide it back in place and tywrap everything so there is no movement.

Thanks Jim!

Are the wires inside the tube/plastic/sleeve supposed to be connected at the end? I dissected mine and they are separate. I don't see any bare wires touching either. And I can't find a set screw for holding it in place? Sorry. I sound like a mentally disabled person even to myself... LOL

megan

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm

you know what, im sorry, there is no set screw for the thermistor. that is for the heater. my thermistor slides right out of the sleeve and it should look like this.
IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_3024.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 11425 times

that should just slip right back in the sleeve

boxermegan

Post by boxermegan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks for the visual Jim! Mine looks just like that too. Still not sure why it's not working.

megan

boxermegan

Post by boxermegan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm

All is well! M2 is up and running again! What I learned: 1. Always have the printed parts printed and on hand. 2. Be extremely careful to disassemble and reassemble correctly. As in pay attention to wiring polarities, etc. 3. Don't band-aid the problem. Fix it properly even if it means waiting a bit longer. 4. Treat the thermistor like it is fragile. 5. Don't panic because everything is fixable. 6. I have 10 thumbs.

Now, on to making some molds for porcelain!

Thank you all for your help and input. Invaluable!

megan

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Please come back and share when you've done your molds. Toby and I have picked up an interest in mold making.