Full scale BB-8 droid.

Show off your prints!!!
askernas

Full scale BB-8 droid.

Post by askernas » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Oh... as for showing of, I printed this one.

all on my M2

The one on the left, that is.
I made the one on the right as well, but the 3d printer was only used to some extent...

Jules

Re: Full scale BB-8 droid.

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Un-freaking-BELIEVABLE! That looks like the real thing! Fantastic job! :D

(And I'm trying to figure out what portion of the creation of the one on the right was accomplished with a 3d printer....ROFL!) :lol:

askernas

Post by askernas » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Jules wrote:Un-freaking-BELIEVABLE! That looks like the real thing! Fantastic job! :D

(And I'm trying to figure out what portion of the creation of the one on the right was accomplished with a 3d printer....ROFL!) :lol:
Tank you kindly!
To be fair, The blue lens in the holo projector and the see through lens in the radar eye, and the tiny lens in the PSI below the radar eye was not printed.. but the rest of him is =)

Spray filler, sanding as rinse and repeat to get him smooth.

As far as the creation on the right... well .. I figured I could not possibly be responsible for all, so I'm sure the printer had something to do with it... =p

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
( :D You could always claim that owning an M2 caused your spouse to say "Yes."!)

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:17 pm

Jules wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
( :D You could always claim that owning an M2 caused your spouse to say "Yes."!)
(to the question of: Can I buy this 3D printer? I promise it's a good investment)

(seriously, I popped the M2 question before I popped the real question)

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:
Jules wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
(to the question of: Can I buy this 3D printer? I promise it's a good investment)

(seriously, I popped the M2 question before I popped the real question)
Okay, I was kidding there........ ;)

(Got to Love this group!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:46 am

I'd LOVE to see a build log of that masterpiece. Any pictures taken along the way?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

askernas

Post by askernas » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 am

pyronaught wrote:I'd LOVE to see a build log of that masterpiece. Any pictures taken along the way?
ooooh yes. A lot of them.My build blog is sadly lagging behind, but I will get around to update it and upload the pics from the last months there and post a link here for the interested party.

Most of it is pics of parts being printed on the M2... and sanding.... and bondoing ... and sanding ... and painting ... and sanding ... and more painting ... and sanding... and even more painting... wet sanding (!) ... and final coat ... and clear coating. Sort of.

(and a couple of other things as well)

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:33 am

askernas wrote:
pyronaught wrote:I'd LOVE to see a build log of that masterpiece. Any pictures taken along the way?
ooooh yes. A lot of them.My build blog is sadly lagging behind, but I will get around to update it and upload the pics from the last months there and post a link here for the interested party.

Most of it is pics of parts being printed on the M2... and sanding.... and bondoing ... and sanding ... and painting ... and sanding ... and more painting ... and sanding... and even more painting... wet sanding (!) ... and final coat ... and clear coating. Sort of.

(and a couple of other things as well)

So you already have a build blog somewhere?

It sounds a lot like boat building-- 90% sanding. I'm just curious what all the parts look like to make something that big. Do you have something like an exploded CAD drawing that shows all the parts?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:59 pm

That thing is incredible.

Kids ok too.
:D