best add on control panel

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Zeeflyboy

Re: best add on control panel

Post by Zeeflyboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:02 am

I just installed Pi 3 with octoprint and I have to say it's a pretty neat bit of kit. Need to pick up a webcam to make the most of it too I think....

If you are on Mac, this video may be of use to you (it's a pi2 but it's the same process except you don't need a wifi dongle).

https://youtu.be/MwsxO3ksxm4

At first, for reasons unknown, mine never responded to octopi.local until recently (strange!) but by going into my router I could see the IP address of the Pi and then just entered the IP into the browser window.

Important note - do not just shutdown the Pi by yanking the power. There is a system tab at the top right of the octoprint web interface and this has a shutdown/restart/reboot octoprint drop down menu... Always shutdown via that first before pulling the power. I'm probably going to add a power button which allows you to do the process manually.

It also looks like you can install a small touch panel screen and then use a touch optimised plugin to have a neat little LCD control panel. I need to look into that a bit more but that would be very handy!

psd

Post by psd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:42 pm

does anyone know if there is someone selling the raspberry pi with ocotprint already installed?
I am having a heck of a time with Mac getting mine set up.

thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Have you tried the Octopi image? I'm not macish but it's a Raspian OS and OctoPrint software image - it's how I got mine setup.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:21 am

I am still new to the M2 and I have finally have a stable working Octoprint system running.

Somethings to know if you are new to Rpi's
1. Some sd cards do not work with them. I always use cheap Sandisk, as they are on the "known to work" list and are easy to find and well cheap.
2. The built in wifi on the newer models is not that powerful and may cause connection problems. I use Edimax wifi adapters($10), just because I use them with my BBQ controllers that I make for people, they work fairly well, and are cheap. But there are other adapters that may give you better range.

Do not update to the newest version of Octorint. I was was constantly having issues of connection problems and and even bought a wifi extender, so that my garage would have better wifi , nothing seemed to help. So, after doing another install of Octoprint, I decided not to upgrade to the newest version when it asked me if I wanted to upgrade, and since then I have had rock solid connections to Octoprint. So, I then happened to check the release note for the new version and found that others were also having connection problems.

Also, someone mentioned that you had to be on your network, to get to Octoprint webpage, thats false. You can be anywhere. If you go to myuds.servebeer.com you can see my octoprint in action. You can sign up for free hosting at Noip.com and then you log into your router and find the ip for octoprint and port foward that ip with port 80 and now you can view your print from anywhere.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

ErikAkia

Post by ErikAkia » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 am

It took me a while to figure out this one so I thought I would mention it here as well.

For the wifi setup file octopi-network.txt where it says "put SSID here" make sure to not put the SSID into the quote put remove them and just have the SSID. Same goes for the password.