Any heat resistant Plastics for GPS bracket in a boat?

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: Any heat resistant Plastics for GPS bracket in a boat?

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 am

petg should have no issues in your car. pla+ as jules said has the same heat resistance as any other pla. petg, abs, epc, nylon, etc all will be good in your car. makergeeeks has some special high temp pla called raptor. one person on here has tried it but no tests as of yet.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:53 pm

DeCav wrote:I'm working on a part that would live in a car's glove compartment.
[...]
I read that glove compartments can get as hot as 66c.

Do you guys think PETG can survive for an entire summer in a glove compartment without warping?
I was in a similar situation a month ago when I wanted to design a replacement GPS bracket to hold my phone instead of the GPS unit. It's held up in 95F (35C) outdoor temperature inside my black vehicle in full sun. I didn't measure the internal temp (yet :) ) but I'm sure it gets up to 150F (66C) inside and the part shows no signs of degradation.

Printed in eSun solid black PETG:
gps_bracket.jpg

DeCav

Post by DeCav » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Yeah, the PLA+ was no different at all. It was all woppy-jawed after one day. I'm not sure I'm concerned at all about UV since we're talking about something being in the glove compartment and out of the sun.

I just got the yellow PETG today and am setting it up right now. I will let you guys know how it performs and if it can hold it's shape in the heat of my car.

Thanks for the replies and comments!

Peace,
DeCav

DeCav

Post by DeCav » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Hugs wrote:
DeCav wrote:I'm working on a part that would live in a car's glove compartment.
[...]
I read that glove compartments can get as hot as 66c.

Do you guys think PETG can survive for an entire summer in a glove compartment without warping?
I was in a similar situation a month ago when I wanted to design a replacement GPS bracket to hold my phone instead of the GPS unit. It's held up in 95F (35C) outdoor temperature inside my black vehicle in full sun. I didn't measure the internal temp (yet :) ) but I'm sure it gets up to 150F (66C) inside and the part shows no signs of degradation.

Printed in eSun solid black PETG:
gps_bracket.jpg
That sounds very reassuring!

quaver

Post by quaver » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Taulman Alloy 910 has a rated working temperature of 200°F ( http://taulman3d.com/910-features.html ) which should hold up well to summertime outdoor heat. It prints much like PETG, has exceptional inter-layer and tensile strength. Ideal for brackets that use mechanical fasteners, etc.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 pm

How did the PETG hold up in heat?

Why do people even use ABS anymore? And why even use PLA? It seems that PETG renders them both obsolete?

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:46 pm

hybridprinter wrote:How did the PETG hold up in heat?

Why do people even use ABS anymore? And why even use PLA? It seems that PETG renders them both obsolete?
At work we had only ever used PLA and it was cheap stuff at that. When I first got my own printer, I had made that decision to just buy PETG. I thought that It was all well and good, the Will at Intservo gave me a free roll of PLA+ and it changed my mind about it entirely. PLA is very simple to print and it offers properties that PETG can't. Stringing is minimized, smaller parts come out stiffer. smaller parts can be printed more accurately, and the colors generally are more appealing.

So I feel that their purposes can be divided pretty well:
PLA is great for artistic prints and toys.
PETG is great for structural and purpose built parts.
ABS is....able to be vapor smoothed? I'm trying here....

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Abs has a little Mire heat resistance than petg, doesnt string and has better machinability. Unfortunately it layer bonds nowhere near what petg does and it warps like a sob. Pla....trinkets and toys that sit on a shelf or prototypes that have no function.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:57 pm

How about that new Raptor PLA?

Do you think PLA will ever get as heat resistant and strong layer bonding as PETG?

How about speed of printing... Does PLA allow way faster printing speeds while maintaining accuracy, layer bonding strength and good surface finish?

ABS just seems useless at this point. Same with Nylon, why even deal with warping and moisture absorption anymore.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:17 pm

raptor....no idea since i havent tried that yet. i have been wanting to though. somewhere i read that it was better for heat than regular pla but it wasnt all that great. atleast what they claim. who knows. pla allows somewhat faster print speed than than petg because it melts so damn easy. layer bonding is ok but not what petg is. surface finish on pla is great. most plastics these days absorb moisture. pla, abs, nylon and even some petg. they all do it. pla is fairly moisture sensitive and nylon the most. nylon is a nightmare to print with but the carbon fiber nylon i beta tested was fantastic. zero warp. nylon is also solvent resistant. none of the other plastics are until you get into some of the high heat specialty ones.