Win XP 32bit or sudo&nano crazy

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
OldGearJoe

Win XP 32bit or sudo&nano crazy

Post by OldGearJoe » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:37 am

Hi all,and salud from Texas.
Been trying for several hour to get the maker startup app to function on my old Acer laptop.
First tryed to in lubuntu, but after reading about how I need to go into root procedures and the nano thing and start scratching the underbelly figured it was best to go to windows.
(by the way, if anyone has a simple way to root lubuntu at login would like to know, run puppylinux as root all the time and don't have near these headaches, specially that sadistic nano thing.)

So open up windows XP, downloaded the only start app for windows. Seemed to be doing good, windows XP was looking for a driver for the rambo hardware, so pointed it to the dll in the start app folder. Windows appears to have loaded the drivers from there and it now shows up as "3d Printer powered by RAMBo (COM4)".

So I figure things are going pretty well, got to the startup app folder and double click on the icon for -M2 Quick Start.exe- then I get a message pop up "The procedure entry point inet_ntop could not be located in the dynamic link library WS_32.dll."

So I figure it's probably missing something in the dll stuff. I tryed to execute the -dpinst.exe- in the driver folder but it gives a message "dpinst.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

At the moment I'm kinda stuck with a printer (nice M2 printer by the way!) I cant interface with this old laptop, maybe I need the old drivers for the 32 bit windows XP.

insta

Re: Win XP 32bit or sudo&nano crazy

Post by insta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Come on Joe, the year of our lord 2016 and you're using XP? It's been obsolete for 6 years and wholly unsupported for 2. Use Windows 10, it'll run on just about anything that XP did.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

OldGearJoe

Post by OldGearJoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:06 am

I've been running on Lubuntu for a few years on these old acer laptops. I only boot over on XP when I run into something that may work easier on it. Used my wifes laptop with newer windows to get z offset calibrated and run my first print.

My problem in Lubuntu was I needed to add my login name to the dialout group with the command:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout (put your login name here without the parenthesis)

Make sure to logout and log back in! After that you should be able to check in the /dev/ttyACM0 properties and see under the permissions tab that you are good to go. ttyACM0 is the thing that this (rambo/ultimaker/arduino) M2 motherboard is connecting to.

I am testing Repsnapper at the moment, It's at least connecting and homing the machine. I suppose with a little more work it will probably send the gcode from this lil' old little laptop.

Another thing I did was disable the USB autosuspend, just in case it wasn't giving enough time.

I'm pretty much rolling and on my way. Cheers fellas.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:25 am

x2

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:34 pm

OldGearJoe wrote:Make sure to logout and log back in! After that you should be able to check in the /dev/ttyACM0 properties and see under the permissions tab that you are good to go. ttyACM0 is the thing that this (rambo/ultimaker/arduino) M2 motherboard is connecting to.
FYI, for ubuntu and a number of different Linux variants, one easy thing to do is to create a file called, e.g., (name is not really important, although the leading number sets the order in which it is processed relative to other files in the same folder):

/etc/udev/rules.d/49-ttyACM.rules

This file should contain one line, which is:

KERNEL=="ttyACM*", MODE="0666"

Forever after, whenever you plug your M2's USB into your computer, the /dev/ttyACM0 device file will come up world read/writeable, and you will have no problems connecting to it as any user. However, what you did with the "usermod" thing is a bit more security-conscious than my blanket solution.

OldGearJoe

Post by OldGearJoe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 am

A couple more bits of the puzzle in Lubuntu:

In a terminal window navigate to directory with M2 Quick Start app and run the command:

chmod +x M2\ Quick\ Start

This makes the application 'M2 Quick Start' app executable. when you click the app next time it will pop up a window to execute it.

If you are able to run the app but get a time out on connection the baud rate may need to be set for ttyACM0.
The command to do so:

sudo stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 115200