Adding Dual Extruder v4 Kit Upgrade

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
CCRN

Adding Dual Extruder v4 Kit Upgrade

Post by CCRN » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I have had my M2 since June and decided to add the second extruder. Hoping to take the process step by step and not screw anything up. Digging into the hardware is a little anxiety provoking.

I haven't needed to upgrade the firmware. Is there an instruction guide available for this?

Thanks,
Jerold

Jules

Re: Adding Dual Extruder v4 Kit Upgrade

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 pm

The instructions will come with the upgrade. It's not difficult but it will take the better part of an afternoon, so leave a weekend free. Just follow the instructions step by step, and ask if you have any questions. :D
(Hardest part is getting the wires looking neat.)

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Will the wire tubing be reusable or become too small once the second extruder is wired? I have been studying a PDF with the instructions. Just wondering if all the parts are bagged according to the steps in the process?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Yeah, the wires come bundled and enclosed in the black snake thingie....(I'm having a senior moment....can't remember what that's called)....the cover....the tubey thing. :lol:
(Gotta stop hitting the booze mid-afternoon.)

Oh yeah....the harness. :D

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Well the kit is shipping today and I can hopefully install next Monday/Tuesday. Hoping it all goes well.

Jerold

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:46 am

I successfully upgraded my machine and printed a cat and frog in dual off thingiverse. Both turned out pretty good.

I am confused about using just the left extruder in S3d. In S3D, I changed the default profile to MakerGear M2 Dual. If I want to print with just the left nozzle, do I change the profile back to MakerGear M2 (24V V4 Hotend) or just use the Dual profile with only T0 selected?

One thing I am noticing that the MakerGear M2 Dual profile seems to always lose bed volume on the left side, even when only T0 is printing. My understanding is when using one extruder, I would have the full bed to print to.

When I use an old gcode file sliced to the MakerGear M2 (24V V4 Hotend) profile, the left nozzle purges on the bed at the start of the print. It is not extending out far enough over the right side. Seems like old gcode files won't work anymore with the dual setup.

Thanks,
Jerold

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 am

CCRN wrote:I successfully upgraded my machine and printed a cat and frog in dual off thingiverse. Both turned out pretty good.

I am confused about using just the left extruder in S3d. In S3D, I changed the default profile to MakerGear M2 Dual. If I want to print with just the left nozzle, do I change the profile back to MakerGear M2 (24V V4 Hotend) or just use the Dual profile with only T0 selected?
This: just use the Dual profile with only T0 selected
One thing I am noticing that the MakerGear M2 Dual profile seems to always lose bed volume on the left side, even when only T0 is printing. My understanding is when using one extruder, I would have the full bed to print to.

You do have the full bed option if you are using the T0 nozzle, but print placement is going to look funny on the screen. That is an error in display on S3D.
When I use an old gcode file sliced to the MakerGear M2 (24V V4 Hotend) profile, the left nozzle purges on the bed at the start of the print. It is not extending out far enough over the right side. Seems like old gcode files won't work anymore with the dual setup.
Correct. You have to set them up under the new profiles.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:48 am

Is this what you mean by the error in the S3D Display?
Screenshot 2016-10-27 20.33.39.png

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 am

It's complicated to explain, but I do take a shot at it in the instructions for the Dual Extruder Profiles on the old machines. You can adjust where the machine actually prints by manipulating the Global X-Offset (by about 25 mm, if i remember correctly, but check the write up)....but the display is going to look even worse if you use that offset.

(Keep in mind too, that is for the old machines, I haven't had to bother with it, or even tested it to see if it works the same on the new ones.)

There is something set up incorrectly in how S3D deals with the visual layout for the M2 on that fake base that it creates . I think it has to do with the native nozzle being T1 in S3D, and the M2 forcing it to use T0 as the one that has full access, but that is just a wild-assed guess from reading a lot of stuff over on the S3D forum. Might be totally wrong, but I've got nothing else to go on.

In order to test that offset, I printed dozens of calibration squares, adjusting the offset each time, until the square printed in roughly the center of the plate. If you want to try it to see if it centers the actual print (not what appears on the screen), feel free to use that offset. It will give you full plate access with the left nozzle. Just remember the display is going to look off.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2984

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:09 am

Come to think of it......you might not want to use an offset since you have changed back to the old display style.....not sure it's going to work the same way. It would need to be tested again.