Collaboration Opportunity with MakerGear

General discussion topics
rpollack

Collaboration Opportunity with MakerGear

Post by rpollack » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:28 pm

I would like to express our interest in collaborating with the MakerGear community on product development and product improvement. We are always working on new stuff but most of it never makes it out of R&D. We would like to change that and expand the MakerGear product line.

We recently opened a second location and hired several more personnel recently as well. The new location is a fully equipped machine shop with a lot of manual equipment and multiple production CNC machining centers - we have the ability to rapidly prototype in-house.

If you are an engineer (mechanical, electrical, manufacturing, chemical, etc), software engineer or would just have an interest in collaborating - please send me information about yourself (a resume is always a good start). Do not send any confidential ideas. Also, feel free to just respond on this thread.

You are not committing to anything - I am simply trying to understand the resources that are available in the community so that we can operate more efficiently.

Thank you,
Rick

Jules

Re: Collaboration Opportunity with MakerGear

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 pm

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Adding a CNC and a laser cutter/engraver to your lineup seems like a no-brainer to me, they're all so similar the skills transfer should be enormous. Note that I do NOT think a combination 3D printer/CNC/laser is a good idea, they have different cleanliness, dust collection, venting, and enclosure differences, but the electronics are almost the same. Too back I already bought both of these now.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm

1. Was recently asked about a blender nozzle - something that might let people work with multiple colors, with the colors melting together in a larger chamber before extrusion. (3 feeds into the hotend? red/yellow/blue) Could go dual and have another one for black/white.

2. Larger and smaller machines - print volume wise.
Last edited by Jules on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:45 am

rick, second location i would assume is still near you in ohio?

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:31 am

@jimc - yes, it is nearby. we needed more space.

@jules - my intent with this post is to find people who may be interested in working with us on specific projects. I am not really asking for specific product ideas (though I am not opposed to that and I very much appreciate your input). We have lots of ideas...the challenge is moving them from R&D to production.

Rick

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 am

Oops! Sorry! :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:15 am

Jules wrote:Yo, Tim........ ;)
Yes, I'm always interested! Happy to contribute electrical engineering and software skills.

Although I haven't been spending much time on this forum recently; I'm involved in a startup company (since July) that takes up large amounts of my time. But I'm always game for an interesting side project. . .

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:10 am

I post less lately i have too many architectural project on going and still making tons of model with my M2 (right now a 12 apartment building in oakland will post it soon i hope i have enough time to finish it in the next 2 weeks)

i love my M2 the only thing i would love more is an M2+ i really need more space not much on the Z axis as much as on the X and Y

i know that this would be a problem with the "retro fit" idea as you may have hard time to make it possible that an M2 can be converted in M2+ but i would love to know if you are even thinking about it

I dont ask much more 30x30 would be quite nice but i would settle for a 25x30 :p

other then that i doubt u need an architect ^_^ but anyway i am still here even if more quite then before

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:20 am

I love to test new stuff. Used to work in an R&D department working with plastics, mostly thermoforming Hips, PETg, APET rpet, teflon, polycarbonate, vinyl, ect...... But have not engineering experience. I do have electronics experience, making pcbs, soldering and designing boards.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers