Move Z-Endstop to the bottom

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
quentinthornton

Move Z-Endstop to the bottom

Post by quentinthornton » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 am

Hey guys, I'm trying to move the z-endstop to the bottom using makergear's bottom z endstop mount (https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/blob/ma ... _Mount.STL), but I'm having trouble due to lack of information. I saw that Rick asked everyone not to post pictures, but that was a year ago. I'm wondering if someone could post some pictures now? Or at least give me some hints on how to do it? Thanks. By the way, I have an old 2013 makergear, not one of the newer ones.

Jules

Re: Move Z-Endstop to the bottom

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:08 am

Is that even possible with the older ones? I think you need a different Z-rod for the different Z-Stepper motor (number of steps is different i believe), you have to have the V4 setup, and there is a different spider with four points instead of three. Did you get the different parts from MakerGear?

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 am

I was one of the beta testers for the modified spider and leveling system. Mine is also a mid 2013 machine. It did not require any changing of the z motor or rods, and at the time I had the old V3a with the ceramic heater and it didn't need to be messed with. While I do have the new spider, it would still work fine with the old one too since it is the arm that holds the spider that contacts the switch, not the spider itself.

I was provided with a new switch along with the bottom-mount, so I don't know if anything is different about the new switch. My old top-mounted switch still sits where it was when the machine was new.

Besides the switch, nothing else was required except new firmware. Josh provided a firmware for me that works with the silver stepper motor and 19v/12v setup with the new switch position. I modified mine to work with an E3D hotend, so I think you'd need to ask him for a clean copy.

I don't know if it's OK to show photos yet, but since they have been shipping with the new switch for quite some time, I would think it would be OK. But, without hearing from MakerGear that it is OK, I'll refrain from posting photos. Also, mine being a beta might be different from the final shipping version.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm

I'd think any RevE owner could post pictures of retail machines.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 am

yes its just the holder and the firmware change

quentinthornton

Post by quentinthornton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:51 am

Kind of got it
I followed this thingiverse thing's instructions: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1645866
It does everything normal, but a second after it wipes the nozzle on the bed, it makes a loud squeaky noise and the bed drops to the bottom. After that it continues printing like nothing happened with the bed at the very bottom. I'm thinking it's something to do with the z-axis motor turning off or timing out, etc. Anybody have any ideas how to fix it? Here's a video of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55woF ... sp=sharing (note: the reason it's so high before it wipes the nozzle is because I changed the z-offset in the simplify3d settings)Thanks!

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:58 am

Two things:

1. did you reset the gap? sounds like it might be hitting the bed and hanging up.

2. did you get the right firmware loaded?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:01 am

nothing is timing out. the nozzle is colliding with the bed causing the z motor to lose its grip so it just drops. steppers dont give position feedback so it just continues printing once the motor regains its hold. as jules said you need to adjust your gap

ob1

Post by ob1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 am

There are some instructions for moving the Z stop from the top to the bottom in my Z motor upgrade write-up. I know this post is getting a wee bit old but some folk might find this and the associated firmware upgrade and leveling links useful. http://turtlesarehere.com/html/z_motor.html

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm

What's the advantage of having the Z-endstop on the bottom as opposed to the top? I can think of disadvantages, such as not being able to easily shim the stop to resume a print, but I can't think of an advantage. What am I missing?

cheers,
c