Extruder Zig-Zag

General discussion topics
Atocha

Extruder Zig-Zag

Post by Atocha » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm not even sure how to search for this condition. When my extruded prints I'm getting a zig zag pattern. I attached a photo of the purge. As you can imagine it's causing hell with inter-layer adhesion.
Attachments
image1.JPG

Jules

Re: Extruder Zig-Zag

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Might want to slow that down. How fast are you extruding and what are you extruding? (filament?)

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:46 am

If it's not extruding too fast or too cold, maybe an obstruction in the nozzle? People have pulled metal fragments and such out of their nozzles before. In that case your options are a cold pull with nylon or similar, or perhaps pulling the nozzle off and dissolving or burning the plastic out, then checking for anything that's left. Other options I can think of are some kind of buildup inside the nozzle tip or on the outside of the nozzle tip. If you have a micro-bit of the right size, you might try heating up your nozzle and carefully reaming out the tip. And/or brushing the tip with a brass brush to clean off any gunk.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:55 am

Atocha wrote:I'm not even sure how to search for this condition. When my extruded prints I'm getting a zig zag pattern. I attached a photo of the purge. As you can imagine it's causing hell with inter-layer adhesion.
I think your nozzle diameter is set incorrectly in your slicing software.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Atocha

Post by Atocha » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm

I've been printing the same thing for the last 6 months (Raptor Reload Hand) without any problems. It started with the Zig -Zag last week. I thought it might be the filament I brought (Inland) so I switched back to Hatchbox. It still happened so I ordered and installed a brand new .35 hot end. I'm using PLA and I haven't changed any settings. The print lays down and adheres to the bed fine but the finished print has inter-layer delamination .

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:57 am

If it's not the filament or the nozzle, you need to look for some other mechanical cause. Check the filament feed gear to make sure it hasn't gotten loose, check your Filament Drive Screw tension. Make sure there isn't a crack anywhere in your Filament Drive. Increase the printing temp a little if it has gotten colder where you have the machine.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:51 am

I'm with Jules on this. You should look at the things you have not replaced. Drive gear would be my first guess.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Atocha

Post by Atocha » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 am

Thank You all again for your willingness to share your insight with all us Newbies.
I just started reading through the Set up hints and it just shows me how much there is still to learn. On a side note, my niece was over last nights gut and asked me to print three flat puzzle pices in pink. The only pink I had was ABS
So I changed out my PLA put in ABS changed the filmament settings and thought how bad can it be. The ABS printed
Perfectly. Go figure.