Problems Printing ABS

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jwagonr

Problems Printing ABS

Post by jwagonr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 am

First time posting to the forum, but I've already learned a ton reading through threads. :) I got an M2 Rev. E a few weeks ago and I've been printing a ton on it and just started trying to print with ABS (PLA has been printing great). I've run into some problems I can't seem to figure out. The abs is going down "wavy" and the surface finish ends up looking very poor. While it's printing the "side/edge" of extruded line seems to not always stick to the bed or the previous layer for the entire length as shown here:
IMG_8554.JPG
I was able to improve on the above printing by running through the quickstart app again and re-leveling the bed and setting the start height again. But I'm stilling having the problem quite a bit as in these prints:
IMG_8565.JPG
I have the printer in an enclosure (which stays at 40-45c during printing) and I'm using Simplify3D. I'm printing with Push Plastic black ABS. I've tried adjusting the extrusion multiplier (from 0.9-1.1) and temperature (from 235-260) and haven't seen a huge difference in quality.

Any ideas/pointers as to what my problem could be?

Thanks!

Josh
Last edited by jwagonr on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Re: Problems Printing ABS

Post by Jules » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I can't see your pictures Josh, and they would be helpful for someone to diagnose the issue. There's a tab underneath the white typing block when you type a reply....it says Upload Attachment. (Right next to Options.)

Click on that and you can browse for the pictures and upload them to the post.

jwagonr

Post by jwagonr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Sorry about that. I tried to link to a dropbox share URL that worked in the preview, but I guess those URLs aren't persistent. Here is the first one I tried to link:
IMG_8554.JPG
And here is the second:
IMG_8565.JPG

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 am

I know zip about printing ABS, but you might just need to use an adhesive. If your ABS isn't sticking, it could cause those ripples in the first layer, and they will continue to grow with each layer.

Try cleaning the glass very well with dish soap, dry it without getting your fingers on it (oils) and then a vinegar or alcohol rub to really clean it well. Make sure you're using a good adhesive. The alternative might be the nozzle is a little too close/far away from to the plate for the first layer, and you'd need to adjust your starting setting again, but try the clean-off and adhesive first. :)

garyl

Post by garyl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 pm

When you get the wave on the first layer it means your starting height is too close. Try increasing the starting height until the wave goes away, I will let you guess how I know this. :D

jwagonr

Post by jwagonr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks Gary! I'll give that a shot.

Jules - I have tried cleaning the bed extremely well and it didn't make a difference. I also wondered if I needed to use some sort of adhesive, but I haven't had any problems with warping or the entire print not sticking to the bed. In fact, it's very hard to get them off when they are done. I currently have kapton tape on the bed. If adjusting the height doesn't solve it I'll definitely give some adhesive a try though.

jamigas

Post by jamigas » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 am

Yep garyl nailed it. I too see those same ripples on large flat surfaces at the beginning of my prints when the nozzle is too close (regardless of what material I'm running).

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:53 pm

I agree with the above comments. Whenever I go from PLA to ABS I find that I need to adjust the z-stop. It can be frustrating to wonder why it was printing so perfectly and suddenly the mechanical settings are wrong. Just remember, More heat means more expansion. That includes the bed thickness. On the second picture it looks like it wouldn't hurt to add a few more top layers.

jwagonr

Post by jwagonr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks all, I was able to get things printing perfectly. I ended up moving the start z-height .1 mm further away from the nozzle (with the g-code provided here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666) and everything looks great now!

Thanks!

Josh