Glue belt in belt clamp - a bad idea?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
zemlin

Glue belt in belt clamp - a bad idea?

Post by zemlin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Since running my rig in a hot box, I've been having issues with the belt clamp on the Y axis coming loose - ABS creep. I've also seen a couple posts where folks have had to shim the belt in the clamp to eliminate backlash.

I'm currently running new belt clamps in ePC and was thinking about smearing some silicone into the groove when I slide the belts in at installation to eliminate any chance of backlash from the fit of the belt in the clamps.

The only down side I can see is the likely necessity of printing new clamp blocks when I need to replace the belts.

Thoughts?

Tim

Re: Glue belt in belt clamp - a bad idea?

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:57 am

Well, just because nobody else responded. . .

I can't think of any particular drawbacks of gluing it like that. Printing new blocks is pretty trivial, if you ever had to do it.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Or design one to positively clamp to it. Maybe a cantilever type design with a tightening screw ?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:10 pm

PcS wrote:Or design one to positively clamp to it. Maybe a cantilever type design with a tightening screw ?
I considered that, but a screwed clamp could still be susceptible to creep. Also with the mounting bolts straddling the belt it's a less-than-deal starting point. The Y-Axis block has room for some additional hardware, but the X-Axis would be a challenge without running bolts through the belt (which I also considered).

All things considered - design time, simplicity, reliability ... potting the belt in the clamp came out on top in my mind.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 pm

It does present itself as the simplest quickest solution. Might want to order a couple extra belts just in case ! My printed belt clamps are usually on the tight side once printed and last for hundreds of hours of printing before showing loosening. Could you possibly be printing a little off somehow ? Too narrow a line ? To loose a bed gap ? It usually is a very snug fit inserting the belt.

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

SDP-SI sells polycarbonate or aluminum GT2 3mm belt clamps. The polycarbonate ones are meant for open ended belts, so the bolts goes through the center where belt would be if it wasn't cut. The aluminum ones have bolts that straddle the belt.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 pm

When to replace belts has always been one of my big questions. What do others look for as an indicator that the belt is reaching the end of its life? Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. On that note I read the walkthrough someone did in regards to shimming their belt clamps which seemed very easy to implement and effective.