E3D V6

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: E3D V6

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm

BretAllen wrote:Hello all,

Been a while since I posted on this forum. I've been happily printing with my M2 for the last couple years using the stock M2 hotend but now I'm doing some different things that will require something new. I have a new V3b V6 hotend and have a question regarding the Firmware versions:

I looked on MakerGears WIKI for the correct firmware versions and found it to not be very strait forward. My printer was purchased 11/20/13 which is long after the 02/13 cutoff. That would mean I should have 1/16 microstepping. However, I have an old Z stepper-motor apparently. (Silver w/ black stripe) All of the firmware versions I have opened in the Arduino IDE including the older ones all seem to use the 1/16 microstepping. i.e. 88.88,88.88,400.00,471.50 . I'm confused now about which firmware I should use. I know for a fact that I have a 24v power supply but I'm not understanding the differences in the Z drives since they all seem to be set up in the firmware to use 1/16 microstepping. If I have an old z step-motor, is this 1/8 stepping or 1/16? Are some of the silver colored motors still 1/16? How could I have an old z motor if this was shipped out in December of 2013? Anyone that can provide some clarification, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Bret
Ony the units sold within the last 2-3 weeks use a different Z-Stop setup with bottom orientation and a black Z-stepper. (Don't use the one that is for the black motor machines.) The one for your V3B is probably the M2Marlin24r2.zip. (That was the one i used for the V3B nozzle early last year with the single power supply.)

(I think most of the changes just deal with the PID and Maxtemp settings.) :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:35 pm

yes the one jules posted should be the right one. i have one machine that is your era and i have a e3dv6. that is the firmware i always use. for e3d you just change the thermisor to #5, you can up the max temp and you will do a pid autotune sequence. the motors have always been silver with the black center. the 1/8 microstepping is long before your machine was made

BretAllen

Post by BretAllen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:33 pm

[/quote]

Ony the units sold within the last 2-3 weeks use a different Z-Stop setup with bottom orientation and a black Z-stepper. (Don't use the one that is for the black motor machines.) The one for your V3B is probably the M2Marlin24r2.zip. (That was the one i used for the V3B nozzle early last year with the single power supply.)

(I think most of the changes just deal with the PID and Maxtemp settings.) :)[/quote]

Thanks Jules and Jimc! I figured it was the 24R2 firmware, but wanted to make sure :) Can one of you point me to to a tutorial/instructions for running PID autotune? I've heard lots of ppl saying you need to do that, but I've never had to mess with my firmware at all so I have no idea how. Also, if I use my old cartridge heater from the V3B, do I even need to run autotune? I know I need to change the thermistor table from a 1 to a 5, but not sure how to deal with the rest of the setup.

Thx,

Bret

cc19

Post by cc19 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey All, I need some help:
How did you remove (replace) the metal plate that holds the X Belt, Extruder Motor mount, and the v4 hotend?
I cannot flip it or remove it altogether. It seems I need a replacement part, but making a plate out of PETG seems like it would be too flexy.

How did you guys get the v4 hotend mount out of the way?

Mezz

Post by Mezz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:08 am

There is currently a E3D V6 24V model selling on amazon,[https://www.amazon.com/E3D-All-Metal-Ho ... e3d+v6+24v], would this solve any problems with converting 24V-12V? Has anyone used this model of the E3D?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

many people used the e3dv6 hot end including myself on a few m2's. are you saying you have an old 19v machine and want to convert to 24v? to convert it requires a new bed heater, power supply and a firmware change. the e3dv6 hot end needs to have a different filament drive printed. here is mine.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:344950

Mezz

Post by Mezz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:22 pm

I have one of the newer printers, there is still a limit switch on the Z axis at the top of the machine, it has a black Z motor, and uses the V4 hotend. I was just wondering if using the 24v E3D V6 would negate any power conversions that would be required in using the 12V hotend.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 pm

I still don't understand. the v4 already is a 24v setup. so is the e3d. there isn't anything on the machine except the fans which I believe are 12v run in series....unless MG changed that.

Mezz

Post by Mezz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm ask if using the 24v version of the E3D hot end would make switching the hotends easier and I was making sure that the 24v version on amazon was a genuine E3D.Also have the new metal x carriage how would I change the carriage to allow the E3D hotend to work? If it would be benificial I can post a picture of my mechine.

quaver

Post by quaver » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:49 am

Just want to make a correction noted in this discussion (and in others in the forums) regarding the wiring of the electronics unit and extruder cooling fans. It's stated that the fans are connected in series (not true). For units having the 24v power supply they are not connected in series but in parallel. Each fan is supplied approx. 12v from the EXTRUDER 1-FAN supply (Fan 1 in the Makergear M2 wiring assembly instructions).

Also, if you are converting to an E3D-V6 hot-end you will probably order the 24v version, which ships with a 24v extruder cooling fan. This poses a compatibility problem with the default Marlin configuration which has the voltage for FAN1 set to approximately 12v (extruder fan and electronics enclosure cooling fan supply). If you want to use the E3D stock extruder cooling shroud a simple solution is to order the 12v, 30mm fan for the E3D-V6 carried by MatterHackers. Install the connector, plug-n-play.

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/pri ... 30x30x10mm