Possible bad Stainless Steel nozzles

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
MagicEngineer

Possible bad Stainless Steel nozzles

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 pm

I recently bought a new hot end and 2 new .35 Stainless Steel nozzles. Today I got a nozzle clog and put on one of the ss nozzles. When I put a caliper on the extrusion it is coming out at .49. I swapped to the other new ss nozzle and got the same reading. I pulled the brass nozzle off my new hot end and used it , and got the expected .33 measurement. Is it possible that MG got in some bad nozzles?

Jules

Re: Possible bad Stainless Steel nozzles

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:43 am

Did you check the size stamped on the side of the nozzles? (Might have accidentally gotten a 0.5 mm nozzle or two.)

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 am

They are stamped .35

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 am

Might want to measure the hole with a calipers then - they might be out of spec.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:58 am

Jules wrote:Might want to measure the hole with a calipers then - they might be out of spec.
I don't have the tools to measure the inside of the hole with calipers. That would be a mighty small set of calipers. All I can do is measure the extrusion that comes out. I am pretty sure that they are out of spec, I was just hoping it might be a known issue. I will open a ticket.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:15 am

You should be able to see a comparison of the size to the other nozzle if you clean them off, from the outside, but it doesn't matter. Support ticket is probably the way to go anyway.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Update:

I picked up some small drill bits in order to get a better measurement of the hole than by extrusion. A .45 drill bit slides easily into the hole of a new cold stainless steel tip. A .5 will not slide in, but I believe if I were to heat it to extrusion temperature it probably would. I just don't want to chance making the hole larger. Makergear's supports answer to this, "it in line with expectations" So for anyone who values precision, you should know that a new tip with a hole that is 40% larger than it is supposed to be is good enough for Makergear.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Another update:

Now they have decided they will replace the nozzles. At this point, however I an too disgusted at their attempt to act like there wasn't any issue to even care. I refuse to believe that I received the only two nozzles that were out of spec, and that they didn't know that they have a bad batch.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 pm

For what its worth, I recently purchased .35 stainless nozzles, and I have been printing non-stop with them, without issue.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/