Hi everyone. Completely new. Few issues.

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
JPerry84

Hi everyone. Completely new. Few issues.

Post by JPerry84 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 am

Hello everyone my name is Josh and I'm completely new to 3D printing. I picked up a new assembled M2 dual extruder on Tuesday. I have just been playing around with simple items to get the settings and stuff right. All of the normal issues I see people have; adhesion, warping, etc., are things I'm sure I'll figure out with trial and error. I am totally new to the software as well (I have been using Sli3r) but I think I understand most of that, or will catch on. One thing, and I'm sure it is something very simple, that I can't figure out.. I have been using quick start to boot things up (I use my laptop no lcd) and load my filament etc. My issue is the controls only work for one extruder. Again, I'm sure most of you are rolling your eyes and I apologize I'm sure the information is out there I'm just having a hard time finding it. How do I heat, extrude/retract filament from the second extruder? I have just been using one while I figured things out but I'd like to get both going.

Phil

Re: Hi everyone. Completely new. Few issues.

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Welcome, Josh!
I suspect most people here use Simplify3D as their Dual Extruder software. I find it convoluted, but it is fairly effective. The 'Start Up' scripts are well-written and will ensure you have done everything you need, such as download new firmware, so I recommend completing those before anything else.

abrasive

Post by abrasive » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Fellow noob here!

You will need, very soon, printer interface software to feed g-code to your printer. I believe a lot of people use Pronterface with Slic3r. That software should let you address and manipulate either extruder. You could also change the g-code file to select a particular extruder by adding a T0 or T1 g codes. (T0 should be the default.)

I use Simplify3D and have been very happy with it. However, I use Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi to control the printer. It has been a huge step forward in ease of use of the machine. It was well worth the $50 or so I spent on the Pi, a power supply, and an SD card! After I accidentally interrupted a 1.5-hour print that was printing straight from my laptop, I knew I'd end up with Octoprint. :shock:

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 am

There are sample profiles and scripts for the dual extruder in the section for Dual extruders, but they are configured to work with S3D.

You might want to start by reading the Beginner's Guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

It has a little bit of information on the dual extruders as well.

JPerry84

Post by JPerry84 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I purchased Simplify3D after trying a few of the other slicers. First print went excellent. For someone as new as me it made a world of difference. While I'm trying to get as familiar as I can with g code being able to just basically pick my design and hit print was nice. Having an interface to control the printer was also huge. I know there is a lot of debate about paying for software but for me being so new and spending $2500 on my first printer.. it was worth it lol.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:12 am

It does save you a boatload of time, doesn't it? :D