My extensive modifications and upgrades to M2 Printer

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
hilo90mhz

My extensive modifications and upgrades to M2 Printer

Post by hilo90mhz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 am

This is a video documenting some of the modifications I have done to two makergear M2 printers that I bought back in 2013 and 2014. Without these modifications I could not get the quality necessary for my prints, since then quality and reliability is as goo as I have seen from a printer.
https://youtu.be/jD6ZTcCd0j8

zemlin

Re: My extensive modifications and upgrades to M2 Printer

Post by zemlin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 am

Cool stuff. Have been thinking about doing something to add additional support on the Z-Axis myself. I'm getting some part taper in the Z-Direction, but haven't studied it enough to ID the exact cause. I suspect it's just deflection in the aluminum structure when printing heavy parts. Your right-side rail is an interesting idea.

hilo90mhz

Post by hilo90mhz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

I am not sure what taper in the Z axis could be caused by? you mean it is skewed as it goes down? Or you are skipping steps in one axis? Maybe one of your rails is quite out of center then? Mine didn't have that problem.

The main thing this allows is much higher acceleration in the Y axis which prevents allot of blobbing from the extruder as it is never really possible to completely stop/start or even change the extrusion speed of an extruder instantly, there is always some lag. So in my experience I have found that increasing movement start and acceleration speed vastly increases print quality because it allows the extruder to run at a much more constant rate with less time traveling (oozing) or accelerating when changing direction during extrusion. I have my M2 printer on a table made from 1/2" thick steel plate 6' x 4' as the top and 2" steel tube support structure resting on concrete, and it still vibrates the whole table and even the concrete floor slightly when the Y gets going fast ;)
Last edited by hilo90mhz on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:46 am

When printing tall, heavy parts that span the width of the bed, I'm getting almost 1mm of height difference between the left and right sides.

hilo90mhz

Post by hilo90mhz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

Ohh I understand what you're saying now.. Yes that might be caused by the sag.. The stock linear rod ball bearings are not particularly rigid. I have not printed many objects large/heavy enough to have that be an issue.

This mod might not completely eliminate that problem as it does not support the right side in the Z direction - to really fix that issue you would need to install another Z axis motor/leadscrew on the right side. Which I have considered as they are not too expensive. But you have to ensure that both lead screws are exactly the same thread pitch. Which would probably mean buying a new set for me as my printer is so old.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 pm

i'be been away for a while from the forum, just checked in today and saw this....
this solves my only real complaint of the m2, I'm going to look into doing this or something very similar.. awsum work. and great video with details on what you did.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

hilo90mhz

Post by hilo90mhz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 am

Great! let me know how it goes, I am curious to see how yours turns out.