M2 rev E electonics fan: 24v?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
brookstalley

M2 rev E electonics fan: 24v?

Post by brookstalley » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 am

Like many folks, I love the M2 but find it too loud. Based on this thread, I picked up some Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX fans with the intent of replacing the extruder and electronics fans.

However, the stock fan for the electronics is a 24v fan (Fzy-Fan FD4010B4H-AP00). I'm assuming this means I actually want to replace it with a 24v fan.

Any suggestions? And given the fan's relatively tiny size, is there any reason not to go with a bigger, lower RPM fan of comparable CFM? The stock one is 7.46 CFM at 29.6db; seems like it would be easy to enlarge the opening and go with something like this.

sthone

Re: M2 rev E electonics fan: 24v?

Post by sthone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:19 pm

I think the Rev E. machines use 24v fans for the extruder and electronics now (best to check your label on the fan) while the fans on the Rev D and (older) use to be 12 volts but wired in series so there's no reason you couldn't still use the Noctua fans as long as you wired them in series.

That 60mm fan should work fine assuming you can run modify the housing. (those are metal now too I think so that might be a project.)

I no longer run an extruder fan (don't see the need for it with the V4's) and just a single 24 volt fan for the electronics and I also use radial blower fans for the bed. Radials are pretty quite too. (I don't run them for the noise but more so because I keep sticking things in the stock fans breaking them. Someone else wasn't running either extruder or electronics fans to cut down on the noise but I'm not sure who that was or how it worked out.

Oh another tip to quite the fans down is to remove the guards. (do this at your own risk of course.)

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 pm

sthone wrote:as long as you wired them in series
Public Service Announcement: that doesn't well work with fans, because they're no longer just simple DC motors.

More discussion: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4626#p30109

Basically, fans-in-series will run, but not well, and don't even think about PWM.

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm

I know several members have replaced their 40mm fans with Noctua 12v fans...are they having any issues with them being wired in series? If so, can anyone recommend a DC-DC converter?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm

KiddingMe wrote:recommend a DC-DC converter
Nearly anything along these lines will turn +24 VDC to +12V DC:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=buc ... adjustable

For another buck or two, you get a cheerful built-in voltage meter:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=buc ... rter+meter

For [a few | many | OMG] more bucks, Amazon Prime (*) is your co-pilot:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_85 ... rter+meter

(*) Check the Prime box over in the left column to avoid paying Amazon prices for eBay crap with slow-boat shipment halfway around the planet.

brookstalley

Post by brookstalley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks all -- I ended up getting a buck converter, mounting it inside the controller box, and replacing the controller and extruder fans with 12v Noctua models. For now I'm keeping the 24v bed fan, but may move to something quieter in the future (actually, I got 5 buck converters for $15 or so, so I have plenty more).