First layer sticking issues

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Spencer

First layer sticking issues

Post by Spencer » Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Hey!

I know what you're thinking. "Oh look, another first layer sticking issue problem. There's hundreds of guides about that!" But... my problem is getting my first layer to stick to.. the rest of the print! :lol: It sticks fine to the bed.

I had two MakerGears. A Rev. D that I brought from MakerGear, and a used Rev E. This problem is happening on my Rev. E. I used the same exact FFF settings on both machines, and the prints turn out GREAT on both machines, but I just can't get that first layer right on my Rev. E. It sticks to the bed when I try to pull it off! Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Any ideas? Also, here's my first layer setting that I've been using for a year with no problems on the Rev D. Maybe it the Rev. E doesn't like those first layer settings?

First layer height - 75%
First layer width - 150%
First layer speed - 10%
Attachments
IMG_7996 (1).JPG

3dPrintingMD

Re: First layer sticking issues

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Tue May 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Slightly increase your Z Gap. I'm talking like 0.01mm. It's clearly squishing too much.

Allow for proper cooling time.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Spencer

Post by Spencer » Wed May 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Hmm that doesn't seem to be working. Any other ideas from anyone?

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed May 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Temperatures, extruder and bed? Materials, filament and bed?

Spencer

Post by Spencer » Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Phil wrote:Temperatures, extruder and bed? Materials, filament and bed?
Temperature - 215C
Bed temperature - 40C
Extruder - V4
Bed - I use buildtak sheet. Same as for my Rev. D machine.
I use hatchbox filamet

The thing is, I use the same exact settings as I do on my Rev D. machine and I get perfect results. However, over on my Rev E. I just have this minor problem of the first layer not sticking to the second layer. Is there any differences with how these machines work?

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu May 04, 2017 2:06 pm

From the extruder temperature, I presume you are using PLA. Are you using the cooling fan? At which layer?
One thing you can check is the Z-height. What are your Layer1 and Layer2 Z-heights, as you print? I usually see 0.18 on Layer1 and 0.38 on Layer2, which is what I want ,(0.20 difference), for a 0.35mm nozzle.

stottsjr

Post by stottsjr » Thu May 04, 2017 9:52 pm

I found buildtak to be too "grippy" and ended up ruining it more times than not because it simply wouldn't release print. It's a lot like how PETG will grip to PEI really well in that regard, and what I do with the PEI is to put glue stick over the PEI when working with PETG to help it release. Maybe try glue stick with the buildtak surface? If you do that you might a well just print on glass with glue stick or hair spray. lol

Spencer

Post by Spencer » Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I think I solved the problem by just turning off the bed heat!