Filament extrudes in spiral

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
WOTSI

Filament extrudes in spiral

Post by WOTSI » Tue May 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything so I am asking for help. Our M2 V4 has been printing poorly of late, and we thought perhaps the nozzle was damaged or clogged. We installed a new nozzle this morning and it is still extruding this mini-spiral. Tried a new spool of filament and changed the tension settings around but nothing has made a difference yet. Has anybody seen this and know what we can do about it? Thanks!Image

Bratag

Re: Filament extrudes in spiral

Post by Bratag » Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 am

A spiral is generally the sign of a blockage but if you have put in a new nozzle and filament that rules that out I guess. COuld you be trying to extrude too fast?

WOTSI

Post by WOTSI » Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did try to crank the extrusion way down and the spirals persist, but it seems to be printing OK regardless so I guess we just let it go?

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

A new nozzle doesn't necessarily rule out blockage. Any blockage or imperfection tends to cause the filament to not come out straight down. It's not all that improbable that you traded a blockage for a manufacturing defect. There are many posts in the past with tips on getting out blockages. My preference is not to remove the nozzle, but if you've already done that, you can try hitting it with a butane torch flame, or soaking it in acetone if you've been using ABS (unfortunately PETg and PLA only dissolve in substances so volatile that they tend to evaporate before they can work through a clog). For simpler, in situ solutions, try a piano or guitar wire fed up through the nozzle (with the nozzle hot and with no filament in it). I use 0.3mm mechanical pencils, and I find that the little needle that comes with those for getting rid of pencil lead blockages is perfect for the 0.35 nozzle. Also get some cleaning filament, which is pretty good at removing excess plastic in the nozzle, and is highly recommended to use any time you change out one type of plastic for another.