New method for making parts stick and come off easily

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Bratag

New method for making parts stick and come off easily

Post by Bratag » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 pm

So this is going to sound strange but I saw this tip on some random board and figured I would try it.

Rust-Oleum-Peel-Coat-Graphite

Its basically a rubbery paint that you can spray on your print bed, I personally did one side (the non bead blasted) of my MIC6. It forms a smooth even surface that is slightly rubbery and can be easily peeled off if you hate it. Ive only done a dozen or so prints on it but parts stick like a dream and when the bed cools down they can be lifted off the bed - not pulled, not scraped, they just come free entirely.

I have no idea what's in play, perhaps the heat makes the surface tacky or more rubbery, but it seems to work and you are left with a ready to go again print bed that has no residue and is undamaged (at least as far as I can see).

I used 3 coats to prep my bed YMMV.

Anyway figured I would throw it out there. I am going to test more filament types - so far only used PLA and PETG, though several of the PLA types were exotic.

Bratag

Re: New method for making parts stick and come off easily

Post by Bratag » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

I've done some more testing with the limited other materials I have and they all seem to act the same. Even hatchbox woodfill, which I normally have to chisel off my build plate it sticks so well, came off with a gentle pull and that was a 3 inch by 3 inch flat square which is basically designed to be grippy.
As far as holding the print material I tried getting the prints off the bed while it was still hot/warm and I might as well have been pulling the sea because they were stuck solid.

I also tried printing some small detail prints including some supports that I have had issues with getting them to stick prior to this, all stuck and held.

I'm basically all in on this stuff now.

Bonus - the print bed looks as good now as it did when I first sprayed it. A quick wipe with just plain old water removed any mark of the print even being there.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Pretty interesting. I will have to pick up a can sometime soon.

Any pics of the bed? Does it go on evenly?
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm

3dPrintingMD wrote:Pretty interesting. I will have to pick up a can sometime soon.

Any pics of the bed? Does it go on evenly?
Ill snap a pic tonight, but yes provided you use basic spray paint technique (even sweeps from about 8 inches etc) it goes on perfectly smooth. The bottom of my prints are nice and smooth. I will say that when applying it - do it in a well ventilated area - this stuff has a VERY strong smell when going on. Once its cured though (I think they say 12 hours) there is no smell.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Do you know if it has to be the Graphite or will any color of the peel coat work?

-Steve

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:11 pm

sthone wrote:Do you know if it has to be the Graphite or will any color of the peel coat work?

-Steve
Honestly I don't know as I only had the black available. My guess is as long as its basically the same stuff the color shouldn't make any difference. Maybe I should rock the gold version they have :).

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:18 am

Test001.jpg
I picked up a can on my way home from work tonight to test out. I print a lot of black so I figured white would be better to see what was going on with the first layer.
The first layer went down nice and stuck pretty well. I had a slight bit of corner lift by the end but my z height was not set perfect so it's not a perfectly accurate test yet.

Test002.jpg
When I tried to pop the part off unfortunately the paint came with it as seen here. Again this was just a quick test.... I only let the paint dry for maybe 2 hours before printing on it and the bed still might have been a tad bit warm when I popped the print. I'm going to respray it in the morning it let it dry for 12 hours and give it another test tomorrow night.

I still have some high hopes for this. :D

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Bummer to see that. Did you clean the surface you were spraying on to before you sprayed? I did 3 coats - fairly thickly and allowed each one to dry about 30 minutes between recoats (very warm here so quick drying to the touch). I then allowed the whole thing to set for at least 6 hours.

I hope the white works as well as the black for me

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 pm

sthone wrote:
Test001.jpg
I picked up a can on my way home from work tonight to test out. I print a lot of black so I figured white would be better to see what was going on with the first layer.
The first layer went down nice and stuck pretty well. I had a slight bit of corner lift by the end but my z height was not set perfect so it's not a perfectly accurate test yet.

Test002.jpg
When I tried to pop the part off unfortunately the paint came with it as seen here. Again this was just a quick test.... I only let the paint dry for maybe 2 hours before printing on it and the bed still might have been a tad bit warm when I popped the print. I'm going to respray it in the morning it let it dry for 12 hours and give it another test tomorrow night.

I still have some high hopes for this. :D
I'm not trying to be negative, and you stated it yourself, but that Z is way to close, very very smashed, hence the trouble getting it off.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 pm

I saw a difference in adhesion and first layer height when I removed the kapton from the glass plate (after removal I had some corners coming up on a 3"x6" box). I releveled the bed and had no more problems.

How thick is 3 coats of this stuff? Could that be affecting things?

I'm still happy with Aqua Net on borosilicate but