Quick Start starts platform with a gap b/w it and hot end

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
fe1od1or

Quick Start starts platform with a gap b/w it and hot end

Post by fe1od1or » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi,

I am setting up a M2E for my college, built from a kit and with the dual extruder and LCD screen already installed. I am using the quick start program, but in the first step, the M2 moves the bed too low for leveling. There is a gap that is almost exactly 15 mm between the hot ends and build plate, and the quick start program seems to allow a maximum of 2 mm of movement up. I checked the kit and there should be no problems with the way it was built. The bottom endstop is just like it is in the picture, and the hot ends are flush with their mount, as the kit instructs. What could be the issue? Possible solutions?

Thanks.

atomic_peach

Re: Quick Start starts platform with a gap b/w it and hot en

Post by atomic_peach » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 am

The app limits the 1mm increments to 2mm. Use the 0.1mm increments to bring it up further. 15mm seems like a rather far distance, though.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am

I agree 15mm seems like a lot. I would poke it all the way up with the .1mm steps. When you get through the quick start the first time it should update the Z-Offset in the firmware to resolve the issue. Don't know what might be causing it initially though.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 am

I found my heat bed was a bit warped on my new M2 so that it did not lie flat on its supports unless i tightened up the hold-down clamps. I agree that 15 millimeters sounds an awful lot. Mine was off about 6 or 7 before I realized that the glass plate-heat bed combination wasn't solidly tied down. Mine was a kit so I don't know if any alignment had been done at the factory, but I did back off the leveling screws until they stuck out of the supports just a bit and enough to allow for the range of adjustment I thought I needed. I guessed well.

fe1od1or

Post by fe1od1or » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

Hm, I'll try to step it up when I get to the college tomorrow. The issue isn't in the build plate, I checked leveling manually and it was level. What stands out as strange to me is that I measured the Z max distance using Repetier host by measuring at what distance the plate hits the endstop. When I homed it and told it to go to zero, it stopped below the hotends. I did not check the distance, but I recall it being close to 15 mm.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 am

I wouldn't sweat it. My M2E kit was out by a similar amount. I think they may set the kits up with a bigger starting gap, just in case. It requires a lot of hammering on the 0.1mm button, but it all worked fine. When I went through the process again later to double check, the starting gap was much smaller.

A couple hints:

1) The support spider is flexible enough that any upward pressure on the hex key will mess up the results when you are trying to level things. Remove the hex key between adjustments when you get close to touching the feeler gauge, or use a VERY light touch to hold it in place..

2) For the same reason, don't put your finger on the feeler gauge & slide it around on the build plate. The downward force from your finger can flex things enough to give you inaccurate results. Hold the feeler gauge by one end between your fingers & flex it so that the other end slides under the hot end.

Following those two tips gave me MUCH more consistent results.

fe1od1or

Post by fe1od1or » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you for your help!