Avante Technologies FilaOne Green

The place to discuss filament...
theWERB

Avante Technologies FilaOne Green

Post by theWERB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Hello all,

I'm wondering if any M2 users have any experience with "FilaOne Green Advanced Composite" offered by Avante Technologies. I've been searching for information on this material for a few weeks now but haven't been able to find a single review or satisfactory test.

A little background - I'm working on a project through my internship that would have us using an M2 revE to print gears for low-medium stress applications. I'm confident that a quality nylon material (leaning toward eSun ePA) would provide the strength and wear resistance to produce gears that perform as well as our purchased ones while drastically lowering the cost of replacements.

I was first attracted to the M2 due to its reputation as a high-repeatability workhorse with a modular design. Our maintenance crew (who would "own" the M2) aren't very familiar with additive manufacturing, so I'd like to make upkeep and printing as simple as possible to avoid frustration and confusion.

Enter FilaOne Green - its creators claim it to be comparable to nylon while being much more user friendly. According to the manufacturer, it's printable at 210C, hydrophobic, shipped with bed adhesion sheets, and fume-free. If these claims hold up, I believe this material might be the right choice for my project.

What I'm looking for - ANY sort of legitimate testing and/or confirmation of the manufacturer's claims regarding this material. My emails to Avante haven't prompted any replies so far, so I'm really looking for anything.

Thanks for reading, and happy printing!

insta

Re: Avante Technologies FilaOne Green

Post by insta » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 pm

If they actually solved both the hydrophilic nature of Nylon problem, and bed adhesion, they're golden. I'm skeptical.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 pm

theWERB wrote: My emails to Avante haven't prompted any replies so far
Rule of thumb: when they're unwilling to make you happy before they take your money, they have even less motivation to keep you happy after they have your money.

Knowing no more about the manufacturer and material than you describe, I'd avoid both.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm

insta wrote:If they actually solved both the hydrophilic nature of Nylon problem, and bed adhesion, they're golden. I'm skeptical.
theWERB wrote:its creators claim it to be comparable to nylon
Doesn't seem they are saying it IS nylon.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

Looking at some of the pictures and they have a video on the Avante website, it looks like it's a Cornbased plastic. There is what looks like a glass bowl full of corn.

http://www.avante-technology.com/filaone-green/

Supposedly, their Grey is based on Nanotubes and is even stronger then Green. That's if you believe what is written.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160427- ... nting.html
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

insta

Post by insta » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Dammit just another PLA then.

Yes, PLA is strong if you anneal it. But, it's not Nylon!
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

theWERB

Post by theWERB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Sad panda. The combination of nylon strength without nylon problems had me excited.

Still, if anyone has any experience with this stuff, please post - I'd rather be demonstrably wrong than speculatively wrong :D