Nozzle sizes

General discussion topics
mgodsey

Nozzle sizes

Post by mgodsey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:51 am

I am just getting started in 3D printing, having received my MakerGear M2 last Thursday. I have read quite a lot in different places about clogged nozzles, and while shopping Amazon for some misc. items saw quite a few multi-pack nozzles for a pretty reasonable cost. Most are .4mm nozzles, and when I checked the Wiki for what the M2 comes with, it says:

Prints 1.75mm filament, with a .35mm nozzle (other nozzle sizes are available).

So what does the "other sizes are available" refer to? Is there a range of nozzle sizes I can get that will work with the M2? Does the "typical" .4mm one I find from dozens of sources on Amazon, work with this? They all are specific about saying they are for 1.75mm filament... so assume the nozzle size would refer to the extruded output stream. Is there actually a noticeable difference between extruded .40mm and .35mm in any practical sense that I will care about until I get a whole lot more "expert" at all of this?

thanks!

thunderbt3

Re: Nozzle sizes

Post by thunderbt3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:11 pm

The first thing you need to know is that not all nozzles will fit on the M2. Unless you are sure it will fit, buy your nozzles from MakerGear.
Second thing, if you have S3D, you can adjust pretty easily between nozzle sizes; just remember to change the setting.

mgodsey

Post by mgodsey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks, I found those nozzles on the MakerGear site last night too, they are in my shopping cart :)
I do use S3D, though still very much a novice with it

econopotamus

Post by econopotamus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 am

Does anybody know a source of compatible nozzles in sizes other than those sold by Makergear? I've read about people using nozzles smaller than 0.25mm and (assuming you keep things clean and don't mind waiting) apparently it can make fine results. The things I'm printing are very small so the added time won't be a big deal compared to the advantages of finer resolution.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 am

Can't help you with different nozzles but you can print some small stuff with a .25 MG nozzle.

Granted this is several different pieces but still pretty good if you ask me.

What are you trying to print that you need really fine detail? There are limits to what FDM printers can do ... depending on what your trying to do an SLA printer might be the way to go.

-Steve

theWERB

Post by theWERB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

econopotamus wrote:Does anybody know a source of compatible nozzles in sizes other than those sold by Makergear? I've read about people using nozzles smaller than 0.25mm and (assuming you keep things clean and don't mind waiting) apparently it can make fine results. The things I'm printing are very small so the added time won't be a big deal compared to the advantages of finer resolution.
3DXTech has hardened steel nozzles marketed toward the M2 and M3: https://www.3dxtech.com/makergear-m2-he ... el-nozzle/

EDIT: The only have .4mm through .6mm, so might not be what you're looking for...

econopotamus

Post by econopotamus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:56 pm

sthone wrote:Can't help you with different nozzles but you can print some small stuff with a .25 MG nozzle.

Granted this is several different pieces but still pretty good if you ask me.

What are you trying to print that you need really fine detail? There are limits to what FDM printers can do ... depending on what your trying to do an SLA printer might be the way to go.

-Steve
Yes, those are VERY nice. I actually found your thread with those when I went looking for information on smaller nozzles. I'd love it if you could share your print settings (speeds, temps, etc)

I'm printing microfluidic systems for research. Smaller and cleaner edges is always better, and many of my parts are only 1cm around by 2cm tall, so even with really slow settings the wait isn't bad.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Most of the settings I use are my normal PLA settings (Temps, etc. are set to what ever brand I'm running) but I double check the Extrusion calibration other than that I print a little slower (60mm/s) and I slow my first layer down to 25% and I use a .10 layer height.

-Steve

econopotamus

Post by econopotamus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm

My 0.25mm nozzle came in and the first tiny benchy looks good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... ergear_m2/

I'm going to try even tinier experiments now :)