Weird noise from brand new M2 Rev E

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
bratan

Weird noise from brand new M2 Rev E

Post by bratan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey guys. I own 3 M2s and one of them that I just got last week is making this weird noise when printing... It's hard to describe, sounds like something is rubbing and resonating... None of others printers make this sound. I took video of it just now, you can hear it around 2 and 7 seconds: https://youtu.be/cI127ICedBY
I can't pinpoint where it's coming from...
What could it be?

insta

Re: Weird noise from brand new M2 Rev E

Post by insta » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Are you talking about the honking noise it makes? Many of mine make it too -- I suspect it's skipping/dithering microsteps, because it gets much worse when lowering the current to the motor drivers in the firmware. If anybody can nail down a real reason, I'd be interested in testing it out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

bratan

Post by bratan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Yeah, "honking"! LOL
Does Rambo board have pots to adjust stepper current or it can only be done via software? Thanks for the idea!

insta

Post by insta » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:56 pm

It's only in the firmware. It's inside of Configuration_Adv.h.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:10 pm

It seems to occur a bit before a direction change? I just had a quick listen, as it loud where I am. My first thought was to wonder if it was an oddity in the code from the slicer.

Is it just this printer? Do the others print the same model on duplicate settings honklessly? :D
If they all do it, at least you can isolate it somewhat to the code.

Does changing the print speed by 10% slower or faster lead to any dehonkination? :P
It might just be an odd bit of resonance.

Might be having a few steps honked off or motor doing some crazy cogging Hänkenyodelen during deceleration. :lol:
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

bratan

Post by bratan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not G-Code. Happens on any print I run on this printer, very easy to replicate honking :)
I does sound like something resonates, I'll try tightening fan grills, but also sounds like maybe needs oiling. Might put a bit of lithium grease on the railings...
Speaking of weird noises, my other M2 upon finishing print lowers it's print bed very fast and it makes a soul-wrenching howl which terrifies my wife and my dog lol. I might take video of that that one, although I know that's it's definitely something on the z-axis

insta

Post by insta » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 pm

bratan wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not G-Code. Happens on any print I run on this printer, very easy to replicate honking :)
I does sound like something resonates, I'll try tightening fan grills, but also sounds like maybe needs oiling. Might put a bit of lithium grease on the railings...
Speaking of weird noises, my other M2 upon finishing print lowers it's print bed very fast and it makes a soul-wrenching howl which terrifies my wife and my dog lol. I might take video of that that one, although I know that's it's definitely something on the z-axis
That's the Z stage falling. It's not *great*, but it's pretty harmless.

I put this in my ending GCode:

Code: Select all

G1 X205 Y250 F2000
G1 Z200
M84
M104 S0
M106 S0
M140 S0
That gcode will disable heaters and the fan, move the stage to the front, move the head off to the side, move the Z axis to 200mm (usually that's down, on extremely tall prints it may move it up a few millimeters), then disable the motors and let it fall the remaining distance.

bratan

Post by bratan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:55 am

Ha, one I'm using is very similar :)
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G91 ; relative mode
G1 Z20 ; lift 20mm
G90 ; absolute mode
G1 Z200 ; drop Z axis to just above spring
G1 Y200 ; present part forward