Watertight Vases - Are they possible

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
CCRN

Watertight Vases - Are they possible

Post by CCRN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Just wondering if there are slicer settings, filament, or other ideas that have helped to make a 3D printed vase watertight? I have tried extra bottom layers but the water leaks out. It seems like the sides at three shell are water tight, just the bottom that is a problem.

Thanks,
Jerold

Jules

Re: Watertight Vases - Are they possible

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Not without sealing it in some way. Jin put me on to XTC-3D, which works very well to fill in the microscopic gaps, fills the layer ridges, and gives a beautiful smooth glossy finish. That might work for you.

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:38 pm

If it's just the bottom that's leaking, maybe you could try over extruding somewhat while you're printing the bottoms layers. In Simplify3D, you'd go to the printer controls and crank up the extrusion dial to 110% or something while you're printing the bottom, then knock it back down to 100% for the rest of the print. I also saw a comment in the 3dprinting reddit boasting of using a 0.8 nozzle and getting watertight single shell vases.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:05 pm

ksevcik wrote:If it's just the bottom that's leaking, maybe you could try over extruding somewhat while you're printing the bottoms layers. In Simplify3D, you'd go to the printer controls and crank up the extrusion dial to 110% or something while you're printing the bottom, then knock it back down to 100% for the rest of the print. I also saw a comment in the 3dprinting reddit boasting of using a 0.8 nozzle and getting watertight single shell vases.
I use Octoprint to control the printer. Is it the flow rate I would increase?
Screenshot 2016-11-15 12.02.13.png
Thanks,
Jerold

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:42 am

Flowrate in that case, yes. I'd guess getting it timed right through octoprint will be a bit trickier, though. You could set up a pause after the last bottom layer, but you'd get a little ooze.

Low-Fer

Post by Low-Fer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 am

CCRN wrote:Just wondering if there are slicer settings, filament, or other ideas that have helped to make a 3D printed vase watertight? I have tried extra bottom layers but the water leaks out. It seems like the sides at three shell are water tight, just the bottom that is a problem.

Thanks,
Jerold

I gotta add to this post- just because - Last spring I was giving an overview about "3D printing in the Christmas Lighting community" to a group of 50+ Christmas decorating and lighting folk at our annual Pacific NW Lighting guru's. I teach various subject matter to these guys and gals most every year, and chose teaching about my newest hobby, Printing...

I was holding up a simple vase I had printed and someone asked if it held water, I didn't know for sure - so i walked over to a sink there in this large workshop we meet in and filled the vase up. Held it up full of fresh water - not a drop from it.. I was pleasantly surprised :D

Just goes to show - even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while....

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I have printed water-tight containers, made from polypropylene or nylon. I used 100% fill, no other setting changes. The sides were at least 0.100" thick.