What S3D Sees Before and After

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Phil

What S3D Sees Before and After

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm

I have been printing stuff through 3DHubs. Occasionally, I get files that look totally different once sliced by S3D. Does anyone know why this happens?

I tried to upload screenshots saved in PowerPoint, but they do not seem to be visible.(?)

ednisley

Re: What S3D Sees Before and After

Post by ednisley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 pm

"Powerpoint" isn't an image file format, it's a Microsoft presentation program. You can upload screenshots / images saved in JPG or PNG format.

Even without seeing the files, I'd lay long odds that the STL files aren't manifold, which means they're not closed surfaces. Different slicers (try to) perform automatic repairs in different ways, but the results generally differ from the original objects, sometimes in hilarious ways.

As a rule of thumb, you should (ideally) figure out how to create models that produce valid STL files or (if possible) manually repair the broken files before attempting to slice them.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 pm

And, not to be a huge dick about it, but ... like ... fixing non-manifold files is 3d print operator 101. You really should have that long under control before printing for other people.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 pm

101? I guess I was allowed to skip that class. Seven years printing with four different printers, and this was the first time I had seen this. I have used SolidWorks since 2001; not much experience with crappy, online CAD software.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:06 am

Phil wrote:the first time I had seen this
Well, everybody has a first time for everything. Welcome to the club ... [grin]

Upload those images; it'll be interesting to see what's actually happening!

You should run the G-Code through a previewer along the lines of http://gcode.ws/ to make sure the actual machine motions match the original design, the STL file, and your expectations.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 am

Phil wrote:101? I guess I was allowed to skip that class. Seven years printing with four different printers, and this was the first time I had seen this. I have used SolidWorks since 2001; not much experience with crappy, online CAD software.
You can skip it when you're making your own files, using competent software :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

boucha18

Post by boucha18 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 pm

I have seen quite a few files from high end software but saved as different file types that end up non-manifold. Getting the native file(if changes are needed) and the stl usually works best. Usually an easy fix if there are problems but previewing the gcode is a must.