Inconsistent Extrusions

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
squidmaster23

Inconsistent Extrusions

Post by squidmaster23 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am

Hello everyone,

I received my M2 Rev. E a few days ago and set it up according to the instruction booklet that came with it. I made a mistake in peeling off the kapton tape, but I read some guides online and reapplied it with the tape that was included with the printer. Using the quick start software, I printed out the "Tornado" sample print with the included Makergear PLA with great results. The extrusions were consistent and there seemed to be no issues at all.

However, when I attempted to print another sample part the following day, I started receiving prints that began like this:

Eventually, it would develop into a deteriorated mess:

Analyzing the latter image, it appears that the extrusions after the first layer are actually fairly consistent. This makes be believe that there is potentially something wrong with my build plate height positioning, but I have calibrated it over 6 times now using high friction instead of slight friction with the blue feeler gauge. I have gone over all of these troubleshooting methods, tried the Atomic method, and have attempted printing in both PLA and ABS with the same results as above.

If anyone has any additional solutions that might fix this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by squidmaster23 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insta

Re: Inconsistent Extrusions

Post by insta » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:01 pm

What slicing software are you using? If you're using Cura, be aware the default filament diameter is 2.85mm vs. the 1.75mm we use.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

squidmaster23

Post by squidmaster23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 am

@insta, I'm not using any third party slicer programs. I'm printing directly from the SD card using the sample files provided by Makergear.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 am

Whoops. Didn't catch that ...

How tight is your extruder screw?

squidmaster23

Post by squidmaster23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 am

@insta, In regards to the extruder screw, the distance between the two plates is approximately .071" (1.8mm). I found this to be the optimal distance after following this guide by @Jules.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2694

insta

Post by insta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

FYI, high friction on the levelling method will put the hotend too close to the bed. This can cause the plastic to strip out and clog up the drive wheel, which will prevent consistent extrusion afterwards. Can you remove the filament drive and wire-brush out the teeth of the drive wheel? (or, at a minimum, post a picture of the gear wheel)

This one might have to go through support@makergear.com -- this is unusual.

squidmaster23

Post by squidmaster23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am

@insta, I also tried the alternative of using low to very low friction on the leveling method and received the same results.

Here's a front view:

Here's a slight side view: