Mini-Rambo "EINSY"

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
stottsjr

Mini-Rambo "EINSY"

Post by stottsjr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:10 pm

So I brought a "EINSY" board http://reprap.org/wiki/EinsyRambo (the one in the Prusa MK3) since I kinda wanted a Prusa but didn't want to buy a Prusa. I've spent some time with it on my M2E and so far I'm in love with it, I highly recommend this board! Here's my thoughts so far:

Pluses:
Quiet even in speadCycle mode.
Sensorless homing is wonderful.
The Trinamic 2130s seem to produce a better quality print.
Stepper motors run cooler.

Negatives:
All the fan outputs are 5v. This is the apparent reason why Prusa is using the Noctua fans. I have a 40mm Noctua and that one seems to be fine for the extruder, but the 5v that I have for my part cooling seems a little inadequate.
The REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER I have for the display is a bit garbled, it still works but it's a tad annoying.

Here's a photo of the board wiring is messy at the moment:
IMG_2994.jpg
The board and wiring mess.
Sample print but this is with the 5v fan and you can see cooling artifacts in it:
IMG_2995.jpg
Sample print with poor cooling.
Garbled screen:
IMG_2996.jpg
Garbled screen.
Things left to do / research:
I'll look for a fix for the screen, but I really don't use it that much since I use OctoPi so I may even remove it.
Find a 5v fan that outputs adequate cooling or I may go with a MOSFET solution and use VCC for the fan.

I would highly recommend the MG guys to look into this solution for one of their future printers!

gibsonlpsl

Re: Mini-Rambo "EINSY"

Post by gibsonlpsl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:49 am

Thanks for sharing! I'm interested in trying this out too. I own a Prusa i3 MK3 (and a handful of other printers) so I know how awesome the Trinamic 2130's are! I am just getting my first Makergear tomorrow (used M2) and I've been thinking about a few mods and upgrades (and I already picked up one of the Einsy boards from Ultimachine). I have to say I'm more than a little excited about the combination of the M2 precision and the Trinamic performance and features.

I was struggling to find good options for fans as well considering the move to 5V, but just today I noticed Prusa's online shop started selling a whole slew of replacement parts. Unfortunately, ordering the fans by themselves will make it expensive as fans go, but I decided to go ahead and go that route since it's so hard to find 5V fans and I know these work fine for the task (and even have a tach in case you want to monitor fan speed). I'm planning to just use the blower for the part fan and design a simple bracket and duct. Then I'll just use the Noctua like you're already using for the hotend cooling, assuming it seems to do the job.

stottsjr

Post by stottsjr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm using the the NF-A4X10-FLX 5V for the extruder fan, and Gdstime 5 Volt 50x10mm 50mm for the part cooling fan currently. I've ordered a couple of blower style fans that I'll probably use for the part cooling as the 50x10 doesn't seem to provide enough airflow for PLA cooling.

I did solve the garbled display issue, it was a timer issue that I failed to implement when I was creating the Einsy configuration files in Marlin.

I've got a layer shift on the Y axis on a 4+ hour print (200% Benchy @ 80mm/s) but everything on it looks pretty good surprising with the 5v fan. I'm going to add a little more voltage to the Y driver to see if that fixes this issue. I haven't started actively cooling the drivers so it could be a driver overheating that caused the skip as well. More testing to be done there (it could be an acceleration issue as well).
IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_3002.jpg
On a more difficult print the cooling inadequacies are more prevalent. So a blower may be needed to get the cooling needed.
IMG_3004.jpg
Still tweaking and tuning to be done, but overall I'm really happy with it. I do find it eerily quiet when it's printing, I need to change the fan in the power supply so that it'll be even more quiet. I'll report back more when I've got more prints / tests done.

If I'm reading the RepRap Wiki correctly then you could order the Einsy Retro and it'll have VCC for the fan connectors which would be better for the MG2 without doing any / many modifications.

gibsonlpsl

Post by gibsonlpsl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

I got my M2 in. I haven't had a lot of time with it but I can tell it's a great machine. There's really nothing wrong as-is, but I can never seem to keep from modifying and improving my printers. I've never actually configured and set up Marlin and compile it yet though. I'm wondering, did you use the Ultimachine fork and customize it to the M2, or did you take the current Marlin main fork and add in the board information for the Einsy? How involved was your configuration process before building the firmware? Thanks again for sharing info on this mod!

stottsjr

Post by stottsjr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 am

I used the main Marlin build and added in the information for the Einsy using bits from Prusa and the Ultimachine fork. It wasn't too hard over all and it took a little bit of time to do. I had to modify the following files in the main branch:

Configuration_adv.h
Configuration.h
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h
ultralcd_st7565_u8glib_VIKI.h
pins_EINSYRAMBO.h
boards.h
pins.h

I also enabled my BLTouch on this and so I had to change some pin assignments around to suit my needs.

I've attached my changes.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(58.93 KiB) Downloaded 611 times

gibsonlpsl

Post by gibsonlpsl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm

stottsjr wrote:I used the main Marlin build and added in the information for the Einsy using bits from Prusa and the Ultimachine fork. It wasn't too hard over all and it took a little bit of time to do. I had to modify the following files in the main branch:

Configuration_adv.h
Configuration.h
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h
ultralcd_st7565_u8glib_VIKI.h
pins_EINSYRAMBO.h
boards.h
pins.h

I also enabled my BLTouch on this and so I had to change some pin assignments around to suit my needs.

I've attached my changes.
Thanks a lot for sharing! I actually veered off course and replaced the RAMBO with a duet wifi and moved it to outside an enclosure. How are you liking the Einsy after a bit more time with it? I've already got one, so I'm planning now on upgrading another printer with the einsy now that the M2 has the duet wifi.

3DNublet

Post by 3DNublet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 pm

You said you were able to fix the garbled issue with the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER. How did you do this, I have the same issue. I'm pretty new to marlin and am having a few issues with the Einsy board. I can't find a place with good documentation on setting it up and taking advantage of its features.

3DNublet

Post by 3DNublet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 am

NVM, I got the screen working thanks to the files you posted. Thanks for that. Now I just need to get the end stops working with the trinamic smarts.

3DNublet

Post by 3DNublet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 am

Having an issue getting my BL Touch to properly work with the Einsy Rambo. I looked over the files you posted and have mine set up in much the same way. With one exception, I'm having the use mechanical end stops so I'm unable to use the Y end stop pin as my servo pin. I've tried using the Fan 1 pin as my servo pin but I get no response from the BL Touch after it has done its start up test. I wanted to use the T pin from the Z axis plug as my servo pin and use the - as a common ground so that all would fit into one plug but that didn't work either. There aren't many pins on the board labeled as only PWM that I feel safe trying to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

I realize this is pretty late to reply, but just wanted to say you can use psu voltage fans with the einsy. You just only connect the GND of the fan connector, then wire the + lead to either the logic or heater + screw terminal. You can also step down the 24v to say 12v with something like a traco trs 1-24120 and run the fan + to it instead to use 12v, make sure your step down doesn't have a minimum load requirement.