Power Tap - Where To ?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Low-Fer

Power Tap - Where To ?

Post by Low-Fer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:44 am

After much design and re-design I am near finished with my Rambo board and accessories enclosure. Using anothers initial design I reworked all things to fit and function. I have spots for 3 buck converters inside and the first one slows the new case cooling fan to a comfortable level and still cranks a lot of air through the case. My second buck converter will power the led strip lights on the M2 Dual. I have installed a pretty little rocker switch for the lights - to the left of the USB connection (yellow wire loop in picture). My conundrum is where to pull the 12 - 24 Volt power from my Rambo Version 1.3L board. I see an Aux Power out on the board schematic but it looks like the Gee Tech is already using that source.

My thought is to pull power from one of the three power input sections - Either (A) heated bed, or (B) logic, heaters, and fans, or (C) Motors.

I's love some feedback on this. Thanks,
Lowell
Attachments
RamboCaseOpen.JPG

ednisley

Re: Power Tap - Where To ?

Post by ednisley » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am

Low-Fer wrote:pull power from one of the three power input sections
IIRC, they're all wired in parallel to the 24 V power brick, so just poke your wires into a section with only one jumper, crank down the screws, and you're done.

I'd splice all the converter power leads together and run a single pair of wires to the terminal block, rather than (try to) jam all the new wires in, but that's just me. You really really don't want stray strands sticking out of those screw terminals ...

Low-Fer

Post by Low-Fer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:17 pm

ednisley wrote: they're all wired in parallel to the 24 V power brick, so just poke your wires into a section with only one jumper, crank down the screws, and you're done.
:D Perfect - thanks so much

daveb

Post by daveb » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 am

Box looks nice, good job

Low-Fer

Post by Low-Fer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:18 am

daveb wrote:Box looks nice, good job

Thank You - I'll be posting the files soon - after the installation I have a couple slight changes I need to make. I put one buck converter in just to slow down the cooling fan since I doubled it's size - Lots of cooling going on, and the reduction of fan noise is substantial.

Happy Trails

Lowell