Perfectly flat borosilicate

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Doctordien

Post by Doctordien » Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 am

Does anyone know where I can order a sheet of perfectly flat borosilicate? Boro is easy to find but finding actual float glass is hard

Farr0wn3d

Re: Perfectly flat borosilicate

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I went down this path when I first got my M2. Its likely easier (if its possible) nowadays, to find perfectly flat boro. I ended up deciding that it was less critical that I had initially thought. Now I almost always print with a sheet of PEI clipped directly to the heat bed itself, and have had very little problems with surface height inconsistencies. The only other surface I print on is the same MIC6 tool plate that a lot of other users on here have, which is a great option if you need a dead flat surface.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri May 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Doctordien wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 am
a sheet of perfectly flat borosilicate
If you're measuring a smooth saddle surface bent upward around the Y axis, it probably ain't the glass. Belt tension puts a distinct downward bend, on the order of 0.2 mm, on the X-axis gantry, so even "perfectly flat glass" won't get you all the way to the goal.

insta

Post by insta » Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm

And that's why my most recent firmware for the M2 uses a 12-point manual mesh level.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 pm

do explain please!

insta

Post by insta » Sat May 05, 2018 4:15 pm

It uses the same "paper scrape" technique that the TrueLevel does -- you do this step after the corners are level. My firmware uses the LCD panel (I have a ton of Viki1's...). It moves to 12 points (3X 4Y) and you use the jog-wheel to move the nozzle up or down until the "paper scrape" passes. When the print is running, the firmware will tram the Z axis to follow the contours of the bed. There's a "fade depth" of 5mm, so by the time the print is 5mm tall, all the variance is worked out and the Z isn't moving anymore.

It's just the MESH_LEVEL option in Marlin, though.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat May 05, 2018 4:44 pm

insta wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:15 pm
It uses the same "paper scrape" technique that the TrueLevel does -- you do this step after the corners are level. My firmware uses the LCD panel (I have a ton of Viki1's...). It moves to 12 points (3X 4Y) and you use the jog-wheel to move the nozzle up or down until the "paper scrape" passes. When the print is running, the firmware will tram the Z axis to follow the contours of the bed. There's a "fade depth" of 5mm, so by the time the print is 5mm tall, all the variance is worked out and the Z isn't moving anymore.

It's just the MESH_LEVEL option in Marlin, though.
Sound great, is it available for download and does it work with the M2 if it has an LCD installed?

insta

Post by insta » Tue May 08, 2018 11:58 pm

I don't know about the Viki2, but my firmware is set up for the Viki1. I can post it on Github.