nozzle drawing?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

Re: nozzle drawing?

Post by jferguson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:19 am

Gwhite, thank you so much. I'd already figuredout how to mill the cavity to hold the nozzle and make the fixture for drilling, but I want to try your potion before I waste a day making the drill tool.

john

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm

GWhite, the stripper worked and worked well. After thinking about this problem some more, I realized that when I change Filament spools PETG for PETG, I back the filament out of the hot section and then insert the new filament. I'm doing this at 250C.

This might mean that there is PETG sitting in the hot section which didn't come out with the rest of the filament. Maybe I should try cutting the feed end of the old filament off and feeding the new filament in after it.

I think I did try this once with PLA and it jammed, but maybe it was lack of finesse.

What do you guys do?

john

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:56 pm

no it will jam.. you are doing it correctly.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks Airscape. I'm going nuts. i suppose it is possible that I got a bad roll of PETG from Esun, but if so, it would be the first. I wonder if the Teflon in the hotsection steel tube would survive immerdsion in stripper? As ity is, I'm going to start over with new hot-section tube, and new nozzle and see if can get running again. I ran through the last dozen rolls of PETG without a hitch. ???

john

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Is your printer the M2? Upgrade to the new hotend so it is all metal..
You sure the nozzle is clogged and you are not just stripping out the filament.. The eSun PETG I just got works great no issues printing at 245C

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Yes, it is an M2E with the metal motor bracket. I cleaned out the best nozzle I have, and the throat on the hot end V4 by the way, and now it seems to be ok. I've ordered some more nozzles (.35mm) and another throat as well as asking MakerGear to send me drawings of both the nozzle and the teflon lined steel throat. If, for some reason, they won't let me have them, I've got enough of the nozzle dimensions to make a cleanout fixture. If i assume that the teflon lining in the throat has a cylindrical bore with same inside diameter for its length until it gets to the reduced diameter where the filament feeds into the nozzle, I can deal with it too. i've found some really hard material jammed in one of the throats that's now no good. It won't drill out using a pin vise. It's a little hard to believe that PETG can bake onto Teflon so it is so difficult to remove, but when I tool up to fix this sort of thing, we'll see then.

cheers.

john

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 pm

I was under the impression that the current hot end was all metal with no liner..

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:13 am

I didn't order this hot end that long ago. It has a liner.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:15 am

I was trying to find where I had read that and apparently the older hot end were all metal and had lots of issues until they added the tube. (forum post) I also found this .. Didn't know this was removable
https://www.partsbuilt.com/makergear/v4-barrel/

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:34 pm

I bought one from them, too.

You can see the liner in their photograph.

As an aside, one of the benefits of getting into tjis is the discovery of what a marvelously elegant design the M2 hot section is. At hopefully not quite the end of a lifetime with machinery, I've found that a good machine has no crummy parts, things which in a car you'd cut your hands opn trying to get at something nearby, but there is also an opportunity for elegance.

MakerGear chose elegance over a minimum design - the least thing that will work - when they gave the heater block the rounded corners and the barrel its conical shape. Bravo MakerGear. I'm glad I bought your machine. :D