V4 Barrel Geometry?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

V4 Barrel Geometry?

Post by jferguson » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:40 pm

I've worked out a manual way to clean out nozzles; stripper potion + drills, but am uncertain on the barrels. It may be that a barrel becomes useless if the teflon or whatever the liner gets baked. a .066 inch drill will clean out the discharge end and a #40 seems about right for the feed end, but not knowing how the opening in the liner transitions from the #40 size to the .066 worries me. If there is a tapered transition, then drilling out the feed end will destroy the taper. If the liner bore is cylendrical for its entire length then drilling with care may be ok.

Does anyone here know what's inside these things? It would be a shame if I had to grind my way into one to find out.

jferguson

filament feed problem SOLVED (maybe)

Post by jferguson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:25 am

Sorry to chew up all this bandwidth. It appears that the problem I was having with filament jams was due to misalignment (malalignment?) of the hot section with the filament feeder. Since the machine hadn't been adjusted or moved between it working just fine and constantly jamming it's a little hard to see how this happened, but happen it did.

It's flailing away as I write this printing a wing section with Esun PETG. No sweat.

airscapes

Re: V4 Barrel Geometry?

Post by airscapes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 am

That drive housing has a lot of play when the screws are loose, you have to make sure the end of the drive is lined up with the hot end whenever you take the housing off. Also yank on or even a clog can cause the housing to be pushed up and rotate if the screws are not real tight.

I have been working on a grooved bearing for soft stuff but that is not working out. So I come up with a dial indicator for the tension adjustment and am in the process of testing it now. Will post pictures and the files to print the parts when happy with the results.

jferguson

Re: V4 Barrel Geometry?

Post by jferguson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 am

I'm pretty sure that it musgt have beena yank on a jammed filament. now I know.