Restarting M2; Electronic Board Flash?

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
73droptop

Restarting M2; Electronic Board Flash?

Post by 73droptop » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Hey All.

Purchased an Electronic Board from Amazon for my M2. Did so before a prolonged illness, so I don't recall the vendor. Hooked it up and saw no data on the screen and no movement on any axis when using Repetier's click to move extruder function. The M2 was working just fine with Repetier and the original board (ruined due to bad power plug connection mounting detaching).

Remember being told by Amazon seller that the E-board would need some "flash" to make it work. Looked up "flash M2 Electronic Board" on google and didn't hit anything helpful. Any suggestions?

I will probably just purchase another E-board directly from MG, but want to find out if the "new" board is salvagable.

Thanks.

Kevin

Tim

Re: Restarting M2; Electronic Board Flash?

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Most likely, yes. The seller of the board is irrelevant, but I assume it is a RAMBo (otherwise you'd have a great deal of difficulty doing the replacement)? What revision number (the revision number should be printed on the board)?

The firmware on these boards does NOT come from the SD card; it's programmed directly into the Atmel microcontroller on the board, in flash memory on the chip. Unless you buy directly from MakerGear, it will not have the right firmware, so you will have to upload the correct firmware to the electronics board, which is called "flash programming". The MakerGear M2 firmware can be downloaded from the MakerGear site, here:

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware

To program the board, you would need to follow instructions on that page very carefully. The RAMBo is essentially a special-purpose Arduino, and uses the Arduino software for programming.

73droptop

Post by 73droptop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Thank you for such a clear explanation. It is much appreciated.

jk42

Post by jk42 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm

When you buy a RAMBo board from us here at MakerGear, it will have the M2 Rev.E firmware already installed.
If you do not have a Rev.E, or are unsure which firmware is correct for your configuration, you can use our
Firmware selector. Give it a try at firmware.makergear.com.
~Jason from MakerGear

73droptop

Post by 73droptop » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks for that additional information. Will do and report results back here.