Stringy dual print

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
DrEvilB

Stringy dual print

Post by DrEvilB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:55 pm

I finally got the dual extruder up and running for my M2 upgrade. I did a calibration print and the results are pretty bad. One of the colors came out very stringy. I’m sure it’s a calibration step that is not accurate or a setting, or something else I’m not exactly sure of at this moment. If there’s anyone that knows of what this may be or what I should go check I would really appreciate it thank you

Tim

Re: Stringy dual print

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:25 pm

(BTW---Your image appears as a broken link to me, and I assume to everyone)

Stringiness and drippiness are not by-products of dual extrusion, but they sure do cause problems and mess up prints in ways that can't happen with a single-extrusion print. My main suggestion is to make sure that your two filaments are as closely matched as you can get them. Use PLA (known good quality, like the stuff MakerGear sells). For anything bigger and/or more complicated than a calibration print, be sure to use both an ooze shield and a priming column.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm

@DrE What was the main reason to upgrade to duel on the M2, multi color or desolvable supports? The more parts I design the more I wish I could use supports in places that I can't remove them from..

@Tim, Your statement about temp, is it possible to have each extruder at a different temp or does it have to do more with the 2 products interacting on the build plate?
Does the desolvable stuff really give a great finish when used at 100% infill with dense layers at the top of the supports and no separation gap??

Getting the update bug just wondering if it will be worthwhile.. supports are more what I would want it for than color.
Thanks!

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Your statement about temp, is it possible to have each extruder at a different temp or does it have to do more with the 2 products interacting on the build plate?
Yes and yes. Each part of a dual print is a completely separate set of gcode, and can have a different temperature, speed, extrusion rate, etc. But if you're just getting the dual up and running, then it's best to have matched filaments on both sides to eliminate all the variables that have nothing to do with calibration. Also it takes a while to get used to the complicated process of setting up a dual print; it's a lot easier to learn to do this with two-color PLA prints. Once you've got that down, you can move to more complicated setups with two different materials.
Does the desolvable stuff really give a great finish when used at 100% infill with dense layers at the top of the supports and no separation gap?
I don't recall ever getting a "great finish" on any dual print with support. On the other hand, with a print that has severe overhangs, getting a "halfway decent" finish is better than the alternative can be. But I'm with the "Ed Nisley School of Thought" there: If you have severe overhangs in your print, you probably haven't given enough thought to how you might reposition and/or rework the print to eliminate the severe overhangs.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks Tim!