Rubber coated fiberglass insulation placement/maintenance question

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jfstanley

Rubber coated fiberglass insulation placement/maintenance question

Post by jfstanley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi all,
just a quick question regarding the rubber-coated hotend insulation:
I'm having issues with melting rubber escaping over the nozzle and contaminating the print over time.

Is it just that the insulation blanket needs to be changed regularly?
Does placement matter, ie, should the edge of the blanket be well below the underside of the hotend block?
If that's the case, it tends to curl in, touch the nozzle and melt. Should it be moved way up the block away from the nozzle then?

thanks for any suggestions here - it's annoying to get a layer of black in the middle of a white part.
Jim

ednisley

Re: Rubber coated fiberglass insulation placement/maintenance question

Post by ednisley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 pm

jfstanley wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:45 pm
melting rubber escaping
That doesn't seem right.

Here's what my shiny-new V4 hot end looked like in March 2015:
https://softsolder.com/2015/03/10/maker ... is-switch/

Four years on, it's definitely crustier:
https://softsolder.com/2018/11/28/maker ... -silicone/

The nozzle now carries a blobby non-stick silicone coating, but the insulating sleeve hasn't gotten all melty.

A side view:
https://softsolder.com/2019/02/11/maker ... t-thereof/

Perhaps the sleeve on your printer sits down too far?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Mine is kind of crusty (like me but not as old :-) )
I don't normal cover the nozzle with the sleeve, just the hot end.
Can you actually see the rubber has melted and is now missing from the fiberglass?
One other thing that causes black bugger in white filament is if the nozzle picks up a bugger off the print or from the initial purge over the edge, it will cook on the nozzle until it drop off on the Last Layer .. it never fails!

jfstanley

Post by jfstanley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi - yes, upon further examination it was contamination actually seeping out from the top of the nozzle and down - no apparent melting from the rubber. This has been an intermittent problem for me and I think it's from not properly cleaning the inside of the nozzle out when I torch it. And I'm seeing that torching the nozzle can damage it as well!...so I should look for other ways for cleaning.

thanks!

jfstanley

Post by jfstanley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:08 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm
One other thing that causes black bugger in white filament is if the nozzle picks up a bugger off the print or from the initial purge over the edge, it will cook on the nozzle until it drop off on the Last Layer .. it never fails!
yes! I think this is happening as well. a large amber colored chunk from it cooking on the nozzle and then depositing.

is it crazy to cook a brass nozzle red hot on a stovetop burner to clean it? would that likely damage or deform it?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Not sure what you are cleaning.. To clean the outside of the nozzle, heat to the temperature of the material and buff it with a brass brush, like you do when shining shoes. I use one of these between each print.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Repair-Br ... ceupt=true

To clean the inside I use eSun cleaning filament between material changes.
I also don't remove the nozzles, I change hot end.. one with each of the 3 nozzle sizes.. some what a pain but once you get used to it now all that bad.

jfstanley

Post by jfstanley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:15 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:05 pm
To clean the inside I use eSun cleaning filament between material changes.
I also don't remove the nozzles, I change hot end.. one with each of the 3 nozzle sizes.. some what a pain but once you get used to it now all that bad.
yes, the inside. Great suggestion about just changing hot ends - I would need one more then. Plus I'll start using the cleaning filament