NO heat, not on extruders, not on hotbed

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
thassan

NO heat, not on extruders, not on hotbed

Post by thassan » Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am

My printer was running overnight, and when i came to see the output in the morning, the hotend had been pushed out by the filament and was cold. I figured that at some point the heat failed and that caused to loosen out of the extruder. I tried multiple times to get the bed and the extruders to warm up, but its failing. I used my multimeter on the board, and I could detect current only for the fan and nothing for the heat.The x axis is not homing properly also, like as if the endstop signal is not getting processed during homing, but when i manually trigger the endstop during homing, it stops in its tracks. I have a M2 from early 2014 that has been upgraded to dual print. Heat isn't coming on both extruders.

ednisley

Re: NO heat, not on extruders, not on hotbed

Post by ednisley » Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm

thassan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am
M2 from early 2014
If it still has a 12 V platform heater, that may be (part of) the problem.

Check the connectors on the RAMBo board from the power bricks; the platform heater wires tend to work loose, overheat, and destroy themselves. Less likely, the wires in the braided loom between the RAMBo and the platform have failed due to all the flexing they must endure. A bit of searching will turn up plenty of discussion on the subject.

It's possible the platform thermistor has failed, but I'd start with the power wiring.

The firmware produces error reports you can read in the terminal / console log, but the details depend on which version is running.
as if the endstop signal is not getting processed during homing
Which means the X axis carriage isn't quite hitting the switch, so there's a mechanical problem perhaps caused by all the other confusion. Watch the switch lever while manually homing the X axis and you'll see the carriage isn't quite pushing it all the way in. Fix whatever's misaligned and it'll be All Good.

thassan

Re: NO heat, not on extruders, not on hotbed

Post by thassan » Sat May 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Thank you. I was able to figure out that without the thermoresister, the heating will not turn on. I had a bad thermoresister and when I replaced it with a working one,it worked.