Eliminate the PSU fan noise

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
cysayles

Eliminate the PSU fan noise

Post by cysayles » Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

I just bought an M3-ID and was overwhelmed by the noisy PSU fan. I purchased a Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX from Amazon and swapped it out with the original fan. It was a no brainer swap, I used the Noctua silicone mounts and drilled 2 more holes so there would be support on all corners. The Noctua came with a 3 pin connector (red, black and yellow), just splice the red and black to the existing 2 pin connector and be prepared to amazed at the reduction in noise.

Next I'm planning on using Nema 17 vibration dampers to reduce that noise. My desk is right beside the printer and I want it to be quiet.

For the price of these things I don't know why Makergear wouldn't build the machine using better/quieter parts.

airscapes

Re: Eliminate the PSU fan noise

Post by airscapes » Thu May 16, 2019 2:31 pm

If you are talking about the rubber damper sandwiched in metal, that attach to the motor with 2 screws and the frame with 2 screws, I would not suggest it. The motor will cock to one side even with shims. I made Ninjaflex dampers and screw head isolation washers that quiet the machine just as much and the shaft is still perpendicular. You will need longer motor mount screws and with either type you have to adjust the pulley height so make sure you have a 1mm Allen wrench. My experience is with the M2 but I believe the motors and mounts are the same.
Attached are he damper and washer STL
I would highly suggest you find a good model that is used to show ghosting and print it before you install the mounts. I believe ghosting is worse with the dampers but I did not do an A-B test. I do know I see it some part but would rather have the quiet operation as I am not doing production work.
See attached file for example of ghosting when using 910 Nylon
Isolation washer 1.2mm nijaflex.stl
(56.33 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
2mm Neam 17 damper.stl
(171.37 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
dampers.jpg
Ghosting.jpg

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm

A better picture of ghosting, this is abs was printed at 50mmS with 70% reduction on perimeter
I have read that printer with moving beds suffer more from this artifact than other designs so may not have anything to do with dampers..
ghosting2.jpg

cysayles

Post by cysayles » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info about the dampers, and the .stls - I'll post here about how it goes.

skhiggin1

Post by skhiggin1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 am

I upgraded my m2 to the noctua fans also and its a great upgrade. Additionally, I put these on the noctuas for EXTREME noise reduction.

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:677387

asc

Post by asc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 pm

skhiggin1 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 am
I upgraded my m2 to the noctua fans also and its a great upgrade. Additionally, I put these on the noctuas for EXTREME noise reduction.

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:677387
Thanks for the tip. Did you print this with PETG or PLA?