M2 print starts halfway up the Y-axis

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
chuck

M2 print starts halfway up the Y-axis

Post by chuck » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm

on my M2, every now and then, my prints start shifted about 50mm up the Y axis. I have to reset the printer and then it usually works normally again. thing is, i can't seem to work out what causes the issue.

Anyone want to help me troubleshoot this?

thanks in advance,

Chuck

ednisley

Re: M2 print starts halfway up the Y-axis

Post by ednisley » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 pm

chuck wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm
shifted about 50mm up the Y axis
Because it happens "sometimes", look for a mechanical problem, rather than anything in the software / firmware / slicer.

If the offset occurs before extruding the first layer, I'd suspect a glitch in the Y-axis home switch. A frayed pair of wires inside the cable that make intermittent contact, thus simulating a home switch click, as the platform moves would do the trick. It's more common to fail open than shorted to each other, but ya never know.

Assuming the Y axis homes properly every time and the offset occurs after there's some plastic on the platform, then I'd look for the nozzle snagging on an upturned corner or edge, which could be due to poor platform adhesion or an acute corner angle pulling loose / curling upward.

Take a closer look at the circumstances; it may become obvious as soon as you see it happen.

chuck

Re: M2 print starts halfway up the Y-axis

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Thank you very much, Ed, i will take a close look and see if it is the Y stop switch. when it happens, it happens before extruding the first layer.
There are never any such errors during the print, and so as the y stop is only ever triggered during the startup routine, it seems quite plausible.

i'll let you know if you were right!

chuck