Replacing Plastic Z-Axis Nut on M2E?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Gwhite

Replacing Plastic Z-Axis Nut on M2E?

Post by Gwhite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 pm

I have a 2 year old M2E that has developed a squeal when the Z-axis moves rapidly over a significant distance at the start or end of a print. All the gory details are here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5453&p=38969#p38969

It appears I will probably need to replace the plastic leadscrew nut. I found one old post that links to a web page on replacing the entire leadscrew & motor (https://softsolder.com/2013/06/28/maker ... ransplant/), but I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble things quite that far to just replace the nut.

It looks like I may be able to take off just the top clamp that holds the tops of the rods & leadscrew, but that only helps if the hole in the main top plate is big enough to slip the Z-axis nut through. Otherwise I'll need to remove the main plate as well. That's all do-able, the only tricky part is making sure everything is aligned again when I put it back together. I don't know if there are precise locating features to help, or if I can just leave the screws a bit loose & run the platform to the top before tightening everything down.

Has anyone out there been through this process, and if so, are there any cautions or tips you can provide?

Thanks!