Petg printing problems

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Lennie1972

Petg printing problems

Post by Lennie1972 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 pm

I’ve been having problems dialing in my printer for petg lately. I never had a problem printing with it in the past but no matter what I do now it print with either hourglass sides, elephant foot or rough to no top layer. I just leveled my bed down to the millimeter, changed the hotend temp to various temps 230°-250°. Bed temps from 60-95. Here are some pics of my most recent attemp. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
Pic 3
image.jpg
Pic 2
image.jpg
Pic 1

ednisley

Re: Petg printing problems

Post by ednisley » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:23 am

Lennie1972 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 pm
never had a problem printing with it in the past
The first thing to ask is "What's new & different?"

Start with:
  • Set the measured filament diameter into the slicer
  • Calibrate the Extrusion Multiplier to produce the proper thread width
  • Print five single-wall test squares across the platform, verify their measured height against the model height, and adjust the platform appropriately.
  • Print a solid test square to verify the infill & perimeter overlap.
leveled my bed down to the millimeter
Remember, being off by ±0.2 mm is the difference between mashing the nozzle on the platform and having no adhesion at all:

https://softsolder.com/2015/11/12/3d-pr ... alization/

Basically, figure out what you've changed, undo it, and start afresh without assuming anything …

airscapes

Re: Petg printing problems

Post by airscapes » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:53 am

If what Ed said is a mystery, please tell us which nozzle size and layer height you are using and I will post a couple of models to print so you can perform the calibrations Ed is talking about.

Beside the multiple possible calibrations issues, a roll of wet PETG is not going to print very well.. Is this a new roll or one that has been open to the air for a long time. All PETG is not equal .. I use eSun and have had little issues.
How do you store your filament?

Attached are some PETG items I print regularly..
Attachments
stone covers.jpg
finger guard.jpg