Has anyone changed the fan in their power supply?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Larry

Re: Has anyone changed the fan in their power supply?

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:44 am

(I have not been able to find an answer to a question I have, but thought I would post to this thread as my inquiry is somewhat related).

I've just completed a long delayed swap out of my M2 Rev E power supply fan with the suggested 60mm Noctura alternate. (A good move, as others have noted .. I'm seeing an approximate 8dB improvement in SPL). I was a bit hasty however and didn't note the air flow orientation (inward or exhaust) of the existing fan prior to the swap. That said, I believe I have it right, with the new fan set up to exhaust from the power supply .. I just wanted to confirm however that this is the correct orientation.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:05 pm

My PS is under the enclosure and I am not sure where the inlet is, but I have air exiting the top holes at the opposite end of the case from the power cord.
Hope that helps!

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Thanks .. that does help as it suggests that the fan is indeed exhausting air (as it is positioned at the end opposite the power cord, and blowing upward internally), so it looks like I quite likely have the orientation correct. (I'm usually careful, paying attention to things like this when taking things apart so I can 'find my way back' .. just moved a bit too quickly in this instance).

Thanks again,
Larry

jk42

Post by jk42 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Larry,

Just wanted to confirm. You are correct. The fan is an exhaust fan.
~Jason from MakerGear

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks for confirming Jason.