Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KaiborgStudios

Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

Post by KaiborgStudios » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello!

Printer stop randomly, sometimes during the startup sequence, sometimes halfway through the print. I cannot see the actual error itself, as the communications feed instantly fills with a barrage of text. Faster than I can click verbose. Despite the printer being still,. the position readouts starts going crazy. (Video attached.)

Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUlC7W ... e=youtu.be

ednisley

Re: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting

Post by ednisley » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:52 pm

KaiborgStudios wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 pm
the position readouts starts going crazy
It looks like the positions accurately display the G-Code coordinates being sent to the printer, so I think S3D (which is what I presume you're using) has lost track of what's going on. The printer is telling it to STFU and it's still sending G-Code.

If S3D can send checksums along with the G-Code, definitely turn that on.

Perhaps a problem with the USB connection causes the printer to receive one gibberish line, reject it, then have S3D fall off the rails? Verify the cable remains plugged firmly into both connectors, maybe swap USB cables, stuff like that.

If you've recently changed "other things" like power strips / UPS connections / cables / whatever, undo those changes and see whether it affects the results.

Change only one thing at a time and verify the results, because you easily can wander deeper into the swamp. Been there, done that, can show you my T-shirt collection …

KaiborgStudios

Re: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting

Post by KaiborgStudios » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Hey Ed! I am indeed using S3D.

I changed the cable to another known working usb cable, and changed the USB port on my PC. It seems to have worked for a few prints, but is back to the problem. It seems to be worse after the printer is "warmed up" from a previous print.

Nothing else has been changed about the physical setup, any other ideas?

Thanks!
Cameron

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:43 am

At this point to rule out anything other than the USB connection I would run a bunch of prints from the SD card.

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:21 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:43 am
At this point to rule out anything other than the USB connection I would run a bunch of prints from the SD card.
Printing from SD card seems to be working fine! I guess I'll order another USB cable!

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Issue has returned running from SD. Now during the startup script, the Z axis weirdly binds when lifting. Screen shows Err. MINTEMP.

https://youtu.be/SJLpwYjbjSE

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm

KaiborgStudios wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Screen shows Err. MINTEMP.
Which means it wants a new thermistor on Extruder 1.

Seeing the error message definitely assists debugging …
Z axis weirdly binds when lifting
The motor must lift that honkin' big aluminum slab, so turn off the power, unplug the Z axis motor, and turn the shaft by hand to move the Z stage all the way up & down. If there's the least resistance anywhere, it's time for the usual long-delayed cleaning & lubrication.

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 am

Extruder 0 and 1 both have a brand new thermistor, that was the first thing I did. Is it possible it's the bed thermistor? If not I guess I'm going to have to start the process of looking for breaks in the cables.

Also, would it be possible for extruder 0(while not being used in this print) to cause the mintemp?

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 am

I've now replaced both hotend thermistors, and am still getting mintemp on both USB and SD card prints.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:08 pm

intermittent wire break in the harness would me my next stop..