Filament Drive Pinion gear slipping on shaft

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
ednisley

Re: Filament Drive Pinion gear slipping on shaft

Post by ednisley » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:55 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:26 pm
magic juice work on that?
The Loctite 648 data sheet says it's good for 6 mil = 0.15 mm gaps, a generous fit, so it should work for what you've got.

Definitely: roughen the shaft, meticulously clean shaft + pinion bore, gimmick a fixture to hold the pinon in the right position so it doesn't wobble while the adhesive cures, then apply adhesive and slide in place.

Although I loves me a good caliper, they're no good for measuring small holes. For teeny holes, use something like a set of drills to find a go/no-go pair, then guesstimate between them. A number-size drill set comes in handy, even for hard-metric holes, and is much easier to find (here in the USA, anyhow) than a metric drill set with 0.1 mm increments.

Good luck!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks Ed! I get some 648 ordered so i have it on hand..

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:51 pm

ednisley wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:55 pm
Although I loves me a good caliper, they're no good for measuring small holes. For teeny holes, use something like a set of drills to find a go/no-go pair, then guesstimate between them. A number-size drill set comes in handy, even for hard-metric holes, and is much easier to find (here in the USA, anyhow) than a metric drill set with 0.1 mm increments.
For measuring small holes, a set of the aptly named "small hole gauges" is handy.

https://www.amazon.com/UKCOCO-Telescopi ... B07CSNYM13

You expand one into the hole you want to measure until you get a light slip fit. Then you can use your preferred outside measuring device (caliper or micrometer). It takes a little practice to get a feel for them, but you can easily exceed the accuracy of typical calipers.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:51 pm
"small hole gauges"
My set bottoms out at 3 mm; smaller holes get measured by guess and by gosh.

For holes you (well, I) can actually see, telescoping gauges come in handy:
https://www.amazon.com/Pc-Precision-Tel ... B00R5E5PI6

To the best of my knowledge, I've never deployed the two largest gauges, but, hey, if I ever need a precision discarding sabot spud gun, I'm all tooled up! [grin]

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:00 am

Added them to my wish list for birthday.. but even the smallest would be too big for the pinion in this use case.