SD card full from timelapses - Octoprint doesn't fully load

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Deduin42

SD card full from timelapses - Octoprint doesn't fully load

Post by Deduin42 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:25 pm

I'm having an issue where it appears the SD card has filled up with timelapses, and now Octoprint doesn't fully load. It brings up the basic interface, but doesn't connect to the printer, and clicking the login button doesn't do anything. (Makergear M3-ID)

Prior to this symptom, I had tried to upload a .gcode to the printer in Octoprint, but it gave me an error saying that it needed to be a known file type. Tested with a couple known good .gcode files, both dragging/dropping into Octoprint and clicking the "upload" button.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

ednisley

Re: SD card full from timelapses - Octoprint doesn't fully load

Post by ednisley » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Deduin42 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:25 pm
SD card has filled up with timelapses
The video files live in /home/pi/.octoprint/timelapse/, so you can delete them to free up a bunch of space.

If you've already set up SSH access, sign on remotely from your Comfy Chair:

Code: Select all

ssh pi@octopi.local
cd /home/pi/.octoprint/timelapse/
rm *mpg
exit
If you haven't set up or haven't used SSH, then it gets messier, because AFAICT Windows doesn't recognize MicroSD cards with an ext4 filesystem.

However, it's entirely possible the MicroSD card has simply crapped out in the way all MicroSD cards eventually do:

https://softsolder.com/2018/10/16/raspb ... sk-memory/

In that case, you can swap in your backup card (which you should have created earlier, but nobody does) and move on. Attempting to recover / reuse a failed MicroSD card is basically a waste of time, because it never works.

Lacking a backup, you can try making a binary copy of the failed MicroSD card to a new card, which you should get from a reputable source (i.e., not eBay / AliExpress / Amazon Marketplace):

https://softsolder.com/2017/11/22/samsu ... ification/

Apparently Samsung Evo Select cards are Amazon's captive brand for Samsung's Evo+ line. Make sure they're "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" instead of from the usual Marketplace scammers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWN9Q99

This seems to be a reliable "how to duplicate a MicroSD card" in Windows / Linux guide:

https://www.raspberrypistarterkits.com/ ... nux-macos/

Alternatively, call MG support, wheedle a preconfigured card from them, make a backup, then run from the backup.

jk42

Post by jk42 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 pm

I would echo what Ed said. Contact us a support.makergear.com and we can issue you a fresh image.
~Jason from MakerGear

Deduin42

Post by Deduin42 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:01 pm

With much gyrations, I was finally able to fix the SD - not sure if it was because of the card being filled up, but one of the "start_...elf" boot files appeared to have gotten corrupted. After replacing them with new copies from a fresh Raspbian install on another SD, I was able to boot fully into Octoprint and clear out some space.

I've made a backup image for future issues. Now I'm trying to get a new setup of Octoprint to be able to connect to the printer so that I can actually make use of newer plugins (Makergear Octo fork appears to be dead and hasn't been updated for over two years.)

Any idea how to solve "failed to autodetect serial port"? I've verified all the settings are the same, but no luck.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Deduin42 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:01 pm
"failed to autodetect serial port"
replacing them with new copies from a fresh Raspbian install on another SD
Makergear Octo fork appears to be dead and hasn't been updated for over two years.
All those are related: you can't mix-n-match new boot files with ancient OS versions and expect Thing Will Just Work Right. Debugging that mess isn't worth anybody's effort.

Get a known-good SD card and throw out the old one.

You should either:
  • Get a fresh (albeit ancient) SD card (image) directly from MG or
  • Work your way through setting up a current OctoPi on a known-good card
I'd vote for the latter, because you start from a preconfigured image with all the fixes, get back in the mainline of Octoprint development, and learn how things work.

Opinion: MG should push their changes upstream and get out of software, because supporting orphan branches is not their core competency.