Used M2 Rev E bent Z lead screw.

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Travpena

Used M2 Rev E bent Z lead screw.

Post by Travpena » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased an M2 rev E second hand but during shipping it was dropped with a bunch out of wack. At first glance it was just the table that was pushed a bit, easy fix with some loosened and re tighten'd bolts. But after I did my best to realign the Z axis and lead screw there is still a slight bend in the lead screw, I say slight because its barely noticeable by eye. But when I run the bed leveling program from the quick start app it jams and binds at the base. I've tried adjusting it multiple times to now avail and makergear doesn't offer a z axis assembly in there shop. Any help would be super appreciated, Thank you.

ednisley

Re: Used M2 Rev E bent Z lead screw.

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 am

Travpena wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:58 pm
it jams and binds at the base
It's faintly possible you can un-wedge it at the sticking point by loosening all the motor retaining screws and re-tightening them to allow things to line up again, but it seems you've already done that and it didn't work.

Basically, once you bend it, you cannot mend it.

Various randomly named sellers on Amazon offer similar motors for $25 to $30:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stepper+leadscrew+t8+310

You want a 300 mm T8 4-start 2mm pitch leadscrew with the follower nut, which will stick out an inch-ish above the top bearing. The NEMA 17 motor should be about 1.5 A / 2-ish Ω windings with about 400 mN·m (40 mN·cm) of torque. The thread should match the nut you already have, but the new nut should drop right into the frame, too.

Something like the 300 mm offering (measure yours to be sure!) in this collection:

https://www.amazon.com/Iverntech-Steppe ... B07D6GC4C4

I haven't done biz with them; they're just one of the less disreputable sellers. If you can find one "sold by and shipped from Amazon", I'd be tempted to go with it.

If it's not available with Prime delivery, then you're paying an Amazon price for something you could get equally slowly and somewhat cheaper through eBay / AlieExpress, so don't do that. You want a leadscrew that will arrive in an actual box, un-bent, in good condition, and easily returnable if it's been bashed.

Some notes from when I replaced the original old-old high-resistance Z-axis motor on my M2:

https://softsolder.com/2013/06/28/maker ... ransplant/

Be careful!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 am

I assume when you say "In their shop" you mean the online store.. if so Call them, they will sell you what you need if they have it or can get it. I mean they build the machines in OH.. they should have a lead screw..

Travpena

Post by Travpena » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 am

@ednisley (sorry I've never actually used an old school forum like this)
I really appreciate the in depth reply, Ill defiantly look into buying a new motor assembly. I didn't realize you couldn't take the shaft out of the motor, I tried to disassemble it myself to confirm the bent-ness of the current shaft but no way shes coming off. I tried the method you said once more and no dice unfortunately. New assembly it is then nbd just annoying as its another hoop to jump through to get it working. Thanks again.
@airscapes
I'll give them a call in the morning as it seems its past business hours. appreciate the help.
Last edited by Travpena on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Well with Covid I guess there could be some lacking in support personnel in the office, not sure they are even open. I did not think about that... In non covid times, MG support is very good from my experience.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:16 pm

MakerGear support is open. Any updates to support availability get posted on the support page.

@Travpena - what "welcome email" are you referring to? Please forward it to rick@makergear.com. Thanks.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Travpena wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 am
couldn't take the shaft out of the motor
Yeah, the leadscrew is not a separate thing!

Coupling a leadscrew to a motor would make the whole stack much too long for the M2; as it is, there's enough room for a box o' electronics down there.

PSA for those in the future: DO NOT disassemble a stepper motor, because you will demagnetize the rotor. It'll still run when you put it back together, but the weakened rotor magnets will produce only a fraction of the original torque.