fan not turning on

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Dale Reed

Re: fan not turning on

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 am

Okay, this test will tell you if the fans are wired correctly and working. Go to S3D, open the Machine Control Panel and connect to the printer. Go to the Communication tab and enter the following commands:
CommunicationWindow.png
Sending G-code fan commands
CommunicationWindow.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 9983 times
M106 S255 (click Send)
The 50mm bed cooling fan should run full speed.

M106 S0
The 50mm bed cooling fan should stop.

M108 S255
The 40mm extruder cooling fan should run full speed. This command also sets the speed of the electronics case fan. (The two are wired in series in the 24-volt --- currently shipping --- M2.)

M108 S0
The 40mm fans should stop.

If these all work OK, the wiring is fine and the fans are fine, and the issue is with the S3D start code or other settings.

If the electronics case fan and extruder cooling fan BOTH follow the M106 command (not the M108), then the wiring at the extruder is OK, but the connectors at the RAMBo in the FAN 0 and FAN 1 connectors should be swapped.

If the electronics case fan and the BED COOLING FAN work together, the fan connections AT THE EXTRUDER are swapped.

If one or the other fan doesn't work at all, check the POLARITY of the fan connections. Red wire from fan should go to "+" side of connector at RAMBo. See the page http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-electronics for details on connector usage and connector polarity.

Hope this helps.
Dale

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 pm

so this is what happened in case this happens to anyone else we know the answer lol
My fan quit working on the extruder so I took the one from the electronics box to get by. When i plugged into fan 1 it wouldnt turn on so i figured i got the wires switched and plugged it into fan 0. So thats where it all started thats why i could only get the fan to turn on through viki lcd screen. The reason I got the wires switched in the first place is because when you "steal" the fan from the electronics box the extruder fan does not get power. They are wired together without the electronics fan plugged in it will not complete the circuit to turn on the extruder fan. I didnt realize this until dale reed said they were wired in series! Thank you!!!
Also thank you jimc for sticking with me through this mess of mine!!!!

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 pm

jimc can i get your fff file that is better than what i sent you?
also do you know how to download files off of github i cant figure out where the download button is :oops:

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:20 pm

hey just glad you got it all sorted. im not sayin my fff is better by any means. yours just had no coasting, very little retraction and a few other things that seemed out of the ordinary for abs. if your getting good clean prints than by all means keep on rollin with what you have. about a month ago i switched over to an e3d hot end so my file will be different from yours. if i remember right my retraction was maybe 2mm, coasting was maybe around 2mm as well. i also had a slight negative restart distance to kill the small blob at the start of every line. your plastic may be different though. every one will need different settings.

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 pm

ok thank you for all the help

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:37 pm

Btw if anyone is checking out the forum to see what kind of support we have for makergear (which I did before I bought one) I would like to say Josh at makergear saw my question on here and also contacted me to help me with my problem without me having to contact them. So we have an awesome support group with makergear!

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:06 am

dbkarmann wrote:Btw if anyone is checking out the forum to see what kind of support we have for makergear (which I did before I bought one) I would like to say Josh at makergear saw my question on here and also contacted me to help me with my problem without me having to contact them. So we have an awesome support group with makergear!
Yeah, if you go to MG HQ and meet Josh, he'll gladly talk for WAY too long about techie stuff and 3D printing software, etc., etc. I think when I go there he has to work an extra hour to make up for my visit! (Sorry, Josh! You are the nerd's nerd, dude!)

And, dbkarmann, I'm glad my post helped you. I probably mentioned the fans in series because when I upgraded my M2 from 12V/19V to 24V, I didn't change the wiring harness, left the fans in parallel, and bought all 24V fans. So mine is the oddball machine out there -- and I try to remember that whenever I'm posting about fans, or especially when posting about LEDs wired in parallel with the fans, which is a no-no with fans wired in series!!!

Dale

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 am

:) im so happy i am a makergear owner and have all the awesome support to go with it