ABS printing surface

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
imsmooth

ABS printing surface

Post by imsmooth » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:30 pm

As I have printed exclusively with ABS I have had to deal with the issues of adherence to the printing bed. Hairspray does work, but I have residual film that sticks to the bottom of my print, which becomes an issue to remove for a perfect finish.

I have developed a nice abrasive surface pattern on my own glass that so far has allowed me to print ABS without any issues. I don't have to spray it with anything. The prints come off perfectly (so far).

I have to try a few other prints before I am convinced that this really works this well. If it does, would there be people interested in my making these and making them available online?

jimc

Re: ABS printing surface

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

the hairspray washes off your print with water

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I know everybody here sees the irony, but I have to point it out anyway ---- someone with the handle "imsmooth" printing with glass that isn't... :roll:
I'd like to try it with PLA or PET+...

Dale

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 pm

dale, i print on aluminum which i glass beaded on one side. it does make a difference. the hairspray fills all the pores and holds into the bed.

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:56 pm

I've heard sandpaper to copper circuit boards works well too. Especially for ninja flex. But I have yet to try.

markb

Post by markb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

jimc wrote:dale, i print on aluminum which i glass beaded on one side. it does make a difference. the hairspray fills all the pores and holds into the bed.
Where did you get this? I would like to try it?

imsmooth

Post by imsmooth » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:04 pm

So I've run a few prints with my modified (non-smooth 8-) glass sheet. Hairspray is need to fill in the pores, but the adhesion is by far superior to anything else I've tried. The hairspray mainly sticks to the bed and very little comes off on the print. I think I'll make about 10 of these and see if people are interested.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I'd like to give one a try. And if you start selling them, or if you and jimc and others get together and start selling various not-quite-smooth printing surfaces as a team, "imsmooth.com" would be a great domain name to register. :lol: (Just checked, it appears to be available...)

Dale

markb

Post by markb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Maybe post a picture and they what kind of glass it is might help people deciding on getting one?
How much are you selling them for?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm

For alum you should get mic6 tooling plate. Its cast and stress free so it stays flat when its heated and cooled. You can get it from mcmaster or online metals. Its machined on both sides. You will need to find someone with a blast cabinet to glass bead it for you and cut to exact size