s3d 2.1 is out

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jimc

Re: s3d 2.1 is out

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 pm

yes, i have not done it yet though. there are only the 2 infill patterns rectilinear and concentric.

Aeviaanah

Post by Aeviaanah » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 pm

jimc wrote:yes, i have not done it yet though. there are only the 2 infill patterns rectilinear and concentric.
thanks man!

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Aeviaanah wrote:Jimc, is it true?? Can you change layer start locations?

After watching a 20min youtube video I think I may be sold on the software.

What infill pattern options are available?

Hi Aeviaanah,
There is Rectilinear and Concentric.

Cheers,
Michael

cadiken

Post by cadiken » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:21 pm

jereywolf wrote:I keep getting this after I click prepare to print.
If you haven't already take a look at this post http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=851
Dssguy1 found a combination of settings that can cause the issue. Hope it helps.
CadiKen

Remember "If it ain't broke...break it so you can fix it!"

thecadman99

Post by thecadman99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am

I'm having a problem with 2.1 when using multiple printers.

Trying to run multiple printers (three m2's)
Here's the problem- with the old version I could connect, print from SD, disconnect (print continues), reconnect to a different printer by choosing a different com port, print from SD on that printer, and so on.
I could get 3 printers all printing from SD.

Now with 2.1 when I click disconnect, it resets the printer so I can't disconnect without having to unplug the USB port (which is a pain with 3 printers).

Anyone else notice this change?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 am

haha i dont know of anyone else here with 3 m2's.....other than rick. i think it will take a response from him or an email to clayton

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:12 am

As long as I've had S3D (since early 1.something), it's been the case that when I disconnect or shut down the MCP while printing from SD, the RAMBo resets. I've ALWAYS had to just yank the USB cable to keep an SD print going -- anything else, and RAMBo resets. Others have noted that the USB may even send a disconnect (shutting down the print) when the PC goes into power save modes. And it's not just a driver thing. Same thing happens for me with Linx Mint latest updates and with Win7 (both 64-bit).

I'd like to see the Marlin firmware modified so that a USB disconnect can't interrupt a print from SD. I think this is what it would take.
Dale

Toby

Post by Toby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:55 am

thecadman99 wrote: Now with 2.1 when I click disconnect, it resets the printer so I can't disconnect without having to unplug the USB port (which is a pain with 3 printers).

Anyone else notice this change?
Yes, I see it. My usual shutdown sequence is to disconnect in S3D and then turn off the M2. In earlier versions there was no effect on the M2 when I disconnected. In 2.1, it does something that sounds like a reset.

Similar change on starting S3D with the M2 already running. It didn't use to connect until I clicked the "Connect" button, but now it connects automatically.

Can you run multiple copies of S3D at the same time, each connected to a different port?

thecadman99

Post by thecadman99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm

The change is in S3D because I can still use 2.0.1 (that I still have installed) and disconnect without resetting the machine. When I connect to a machine, it resets it, but I never connect unless I'm ready to send another print.

For now I'm just using the old version of S3D but I'd sure like to figure out why the new version resets on disconnect. :?:

I'll try running multiples Toby- good idea.
Oh, and this is Wayne N BTW from the old forum. Great to see a "real" forum for the M2! :D

Toby

Post by Toby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

thecadman99 wrote:The change is in S3D because I can still use 2.0.1 (that I still have installed) and disconnect without resetting the machine. When I connect to a machine, it resets it, but I never connect unless I'm ready to send another print.

For now I'm just using the old version of S3D but I'd sure like to figure out why the new version resets on disconnect. :?:
well here's an odd data point on this issue: I just re-installed the marlin24r2 firmware on my M2. Only reason I did this is because I was testing the arduino ide compile/install in preparation for doing some hacking to the firmware. after I did the install everything seems to work, but when I disconnect in S3D v2.1 I no longer get the reset of the m2.

this has me worried maybe i installed the wrong version of marlin. I'm going to post this as a separate question to see if anyone can figure it out.