Running S3D in a VM

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
johnross808

Running S3D in a VM

Post by johnross808 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:23 am

Anyone having any luck running S3D in a VMware vm? It wont let me activate. I've tried this on win7 x64 and Ubuntu x64
Activation Error 1024a
Activates on my Win8 physical pc no problem.
Yes I know, I've posted this on the s3d forum but the mods didn't allow it to post for some reason. Also have not heard back from support on the issue.
Thanks for reading!

jimc

Re: Running S3D in a VM

Post by jimc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 am

i know this totally doesnt answer your question but s3d has versions available for all the operating systems so why the need to run it on a vm? i had vmware for a few years on my mac and it worked but it was also very clunky and glitchy. i just got rid of it all together and got a cheap pc to run windows on.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:25 am

S3D has their software locked down to single user accounts.
If you have an active S3D program on one machine, until you deactivate the active machine,
it will not install on other computers.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:29 am

you can install on 2 computers per license. if both are taken then as john says you need to take it up with s3d and deactivate one of them

johnross808

Post by johnross808 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:50 am

Aloha guys, they asked me to take screen shots so I was running thru it again and it activated. I tried about 6 times or so on fri-sat so im not sure what the change is. I run it in a vm cause my esxi server is already in a closet and its a more stable environment for the printer temp and physically. With direct path I/o I can pump the usb port right to the vm!
Thanks for the input and im sure we will be talking soon. Im on the second week with the m2 and loving it!