s3d 2.1 is out

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
jbarnhardt

Re: s3d 2.1 is out

Post by jbarnhardt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Hey S3D gurus. First, a quick comment: I just started using S3D two days ago and holy cow is it a fantastic application! I've been using Slic3r and Cura extensively for the past few months (both with my recently-purchased M2 and before that with an inexpensive Makibox) and while I felt like I was getting pretty good results with Cura, my very first print (literally) with S3D, using only the M2 default settings, was by far my best print ever. The perimeters in particular are nearly perfect, I almost can't see the layers at all, and this was at 0.2mm layer height. Quite amazing. I'm really looking forward to using this program more.

I have one problem that I've found references to on the S3D forum, but no suggested resolution. I load my model(s), select/tweak my process settings, and hit the "Prepare to Print" button. I get the gcode preview, but when I hit "Begin printing over USB", I get an error: "Unable to export to selected location". I can print by saving the geode file and then printing from gcode, but that's a bit of a hassle and I shouldn't have to do it. I'm running this on a Mac, and my user ID is an administrator. I suspect this has to do with file system permissions, but I can't find anywhere in S3D to set temp file locations or anything like that, and I would have assumed that it would use my user home directory (which I have full permissions to) for any files it needs to write.

Any guidance or suggestions for where I might look to resolve this are appreciated. S3D is really a fantastic program. I'm kind of amazed it isn't more widely known and utilized - I hadn't even heard of it until I got my M2 and started hanging out in the Google Group and now this forum. Thanks all,

-John

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm on a Mac. Works for me. I did see that thread on the S3D forum you mention, but doesn't seem to be any response there.

I presume you can connect to the printer in the machine control panel and the jog buttons work and all that? The correct device file is selected in the drop down?

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 pm

John, I don't know if this helps you or not --- but in the Linux version, your account must be a member of the (IIRC) "Dialup" group (but check the case on that, I'm sure it's case-sensitive) in order to have access to USB serial ports. I couldn't send a thing via USB till I added my account (even though I'm an admin) to that group.

Dale

jbarnhardt

Post by jbarnhardt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 am

Gents, thanks for your suggestions. I am able to fully control the machine in the machine control panel - jog buttons, homing, temp controls, etc. so it's definitely not a connectivity issue. And if I save the gcode and then have S3D print it from the saved gcode file (darn computer keeps wanting to autocorrect gcode into "geode"!) it streams the gcode and prints just fine. Really seems like it must be a directory permissions issue but I have no idea where to look. Will see if I can get an answer from the S3D folks.

-John

SandiaScalpel

Post by SandiaScalpel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 am

Did S3D revert to 2.0.1? I have been to their website, and can't find any sign of a version 2.1

Sean

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 am

The link is in the very first post.

jbarnhardt

Post by jbarnhardt » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

A quick update on my S3D permissions issue related to printing via USB (see post a few earlier than this one) - I e-mailed S3D support, who responded very quickly with some permissions-related tests to try and help narrow down the issue. Before I could try them, I went on a couple of day business trip, during which the same laptop I use for printing came with me and was shut-down/rebooted a few times. Upon my return, I went to verify that the problematic behavior still existed before performing the tests that S3D suggested, but apparently the issue had resolved itself. I can only presume it was a result of the reboots and perhaps some operating system initiated file permissions cleanup. In any case, it works fine now. Wish I could have helped them troubleshoot it since I have seen posts from a few others with an identical issue. Loving this software.

-John